Today I drove all the way to the recycling center

only to find out that 2 of the 100 items I brought were recyclable. Non-rechargable batteries and normal light bulbs, I was adviced, go in the regular trash. Huh? It made me rather irritated.

I figure the fuel I spent going up there was not worth it. Low wattage light bulbs contain mercury and can contaminate groundwater. My husband wanted me to throw them in the normal trash which I could not do.

I am starting to think recycling is a scam. Why can't non-rechargable batteries and light bulbs be recycled?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• They make such a big whopp-de-do about how everyone should "recycle" and "go green" but then they make it harder then hell to do much.

I agree.. My city gives out the smallest recycle bin and I called and asked for 2. They said, they couldn't even if I PAID FOR IT, and to just put the extra in the trash. WTF? So we try and make an extra haul when we can, but when we have people visit, I will be honest, it is hard to keep up with when the recycle place is 30 miles OUT OF the way... Isn't my car's carbon footprint defeating the "cause"?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My trash company has "special days" during the year where they will pick up certain things such as, paint, computers and appliances. I have heard that you shouldn't throw batteries in the trash but I have never personally taken them to a center. I take cans and plastic to get the money back and glass, I just toss that in my recycling bin that they p/u every week.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Look in your phone book for a place that takes them. Chicago just started a recycling program (they gave us all free cans to put our recyclables in and they pick it up in a special truck on trash day) but they don't accept batteries, light bulbs, #6 plastic or plastic grocery bags. The insert that they sent us suggested taking these things to different places and listed some of them in the area. Their facilities aren't equipped to handle them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It depends on what your city or town contacts to recycle. If they do not have a contract with a recycler to take the things you mention then you put them in the regular trash or find some provate firm to take them. 12 years ago my city did not recycle plastics or paper so all that went into the regular trash. Now they recycle just about anything. Call your city / town hall. They may be able to assist.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I live in an apartment with little place to store items to take to recycle. I used to save paper & cans when I lived in a house. Now I just have a harder time doing it (also since I would have to drive miles away to do anything with the stuff) I no longer save them. When my kids were younger & brought home more paper stuff from school I would fill two grocery bags up in a matter of weeks & drop them back off at their school in a bin they had there. The school they go to now does not have a bin to recycle used paper. Kinda sad. Guess high school kids dont need to recycle?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yet they employ at least two people per truck and they also need a different truck for recycling, plus fuel, maintenance, repair, insurance, etc. for the truck. They they will only take certain plastics (for me it's 1's & 2's I believe) and paper / cardboard. I put a cardboard box with plastics and paper in it at the curb and the trash guy picked it up (not the recycling guy). The amount of money they make from recycling doesn't even cover the cost of running the recycling trucks. If they would take more, it might be worth it. The new light bulbs are a huge scam. Did you know that you aren't supposed to vacuum a broken bulb because it can make the mercury airborne? you are supposed to leave the room for 15 minutes and then try to 'sweep' up the broken bulb with sheets of paper. Amazing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Did you know that you aren't supposed to vacuum a broken bulb because it can make the mercury airborne? you are supposed to leave the room for 15 minutes and then try to 'sweep' up the broken bulb with sheets of paper. Amazing.

Wow Quinn! I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing ;P
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yeah, they also don't put it on the packages that the bulbs come it. I don't know how they get away with that, I feel a lawsuit coming on. ;-P
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I just learned that recently about the energy saver lights containing mercury and I broke one in the past. We cleaned it up like a normal light blub. We probably were exposed to mercury.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 1:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008