Is Lupron a form of Chemotherapy??

I was on Lupron for endometriosis for just about six months. I know that it is used to treat certain types of cancers (some breast cancers, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, and prostate cancer) but can be used to treat non-cancerous diseases (such as endometriosis and fibroids).

I am just curious- is Lupron considered a form of chemotherapy?

I had a lot of 'chemo-like' side effects, the biggest for me (personally) was losing all of my hair. It got super brittle and broke off at the scalp in huge handfuls. It was HORRIBLE. My hair has grown back, and is almost an inch and a half long now, but it is a completely different color and texture than it was before. Have any of you experienced this?

I also suffered from an inability to walk. I was so fatigued/weak I had to leave my job, and my husband had to carry me around the house because I could not do it on my own. Most days, I had issues eating food- during the flare-ups around each session, I could barely keep down water.

I am a wife, and a mom. I am applying for disability, because the Progesterone I was on (while on the Lupron) caused the endo to get worse and grow. I am applying for disability but haven't gotten it. I am broke (financially) and very fatigued, even now. I feel all around frazzled. Today, a friend decided they wanted to do something nice for me, and asked permission to nominate me for a local spa that does cuts/colors for free to people who have cancer, have had cancer, or have been on chemotherapy in the last year.

While I am flattered that they asked permission to nominate me, I am not sure I am even eligible. Is Lupron considered a chemotherapy drug?

I know that the American Cancer Society has it listed under their 'Guide to Cancer Drugs' but doesn't explicitly state it is chemotherapy, in and of itself. Chemocare (another website) DOES consider it a form of chemotherapy. Personally, I am just not sure.

I have a doctor's appointment on the 5th, but would really love to know sooner. Have any of you asked your doctors? What did they say?

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 7:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Health

• I'm curious to know to since I was on it about 8 years ago. I'll do some research on it.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• http://www.chemocare.com/bio/lupron_depot.asp

According to this site yes it is a Chmo drug.  It's a LHRH (luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone) drug.  Wow I had no idea.  Hope this helps you. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My doctor wanted to put me on it and I refused!! Now I'm glad I did and I'm glad I got a hysterectomy instead. Wow, those are some scary side effects!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Yes, it's used in prostate cancer patients. My gyn wanted to use it to shrink my fibroids before doing a hysterectomy. I refused and that was the end of it.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2011