Mirena iud question????

I have had mu mirena in for almost a year now . in the beginning i had the regular on/off spotting but that was only for a month or two... i have been period free ever since and all of a sudden today i started bleeding....is this a sign of a infection or is it normal after a year on mirena?

mikailas_mom

Asked by mikailas_mom at 7:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Health

• I've had my mirena for almost 5 years. it's got to come out in about 6 months. I have had several times within the past 5 yrs that i have just started spotting for no reason. It's pretty normal. It never lasted more than a couple days. It's happening more frequently now that i'm at the end of the 5 yrs and the dr. told me the hormones are pretty much gone. But it's usually nothing to worry about.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I actually had very light, regular periods the entire time I had my mirena, which was about 4 years. It might very well be normal, but when in doubt, call your OB just to make sure.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• ok thanks lady's.. im not worried about it, i know that if i had a infection I would have other symptoms. but i have to admit that after so long of not having any bleeding, it sucks!!!!! lol hopefully it will only last a couple days..
    mikailas_mom

Comment by mikailas_mom (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I heard that is normal but I had to get mine taken out after 3 1/2 months because I was having so much pain...turns out I was preggo!! 99.9 % effective my ass!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i have mirena and my periods did the same thing. its normal
    ajs16919

Answer by ajs16919 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2011