What could this be? doctors at the office and hospital wont help me! severe rash in 19 month old

My 19 month old son has a severe rash on his legs and now has spread to his arms and stomach. he had it on his privates which prompted us to go to the ER. we assumed it was a heat rash but no. It is red bumps that are apparent in large clusters and itchy as ever! I have medicaid (no judgement) and my doctor is being stingy and wont give me a referall to a dermatologist or an allergist. they wont see me without one and even if they would I cant find one that will accept my insurance. we have tried a steroid cream that cooks childrens hospital gave us but it just made it worse. we have tried it all! oatmeal baths, calamine lotion, steroids, anti fungal creams, exima creams nothing is working. I Cant figure out what it is and all my doctor seems to want to do is jerk me around. anyone have this problem with a severe rash? (not exima) my mother suggested it might be "the fifth disease"?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 7:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give the baby some benadryl.. im allergic  laundry soap and i break out like that.. i take allergy meds.. so maybe hes allergic to something? cold be the soap u wash him with or lotion etc

Anonymous

• I changed everything to hypoallergenic soaps and lotions. all the Aveno products and nothing is helping it. he takes allergy medicine every day for seasonal allergies and his doctor said no benadryl mixed with it.
    Alysia_Moore

Comment by Alysia_Moore (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• fifths disease isnt itchy and goes away after a couple days... try putting tea tree oil on them... you can buy generic OTC at any store...
    mikailas_mom

Answer by mikailas_mom at 7:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• ohhhh... i dont know then sry but ill bump u
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure, could you try another doctor maybe that could write you up a referral? or sometimes if you call the number on your card they may have a 24/7 hotline where you may be able to get a referral from. ??

Webmd.com maybe??? I don't know hun.. here's a bump and I wish you the best of luck in finding your answers and for getting your LO better.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• try looking up this and see if any of these fit the symptoms:
    pityriasis rosea

otherwise, aside from allergies, or eczema or psoriasis I have no idea.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• does he have a fever and how is he eating?
    wife_mother1790

Answer by wife_mother1790 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I would go to another doctor. Call around to other pediatric offices and see if they will take him. My friend took her son to another doctor because he had really bad strep throat and the doctor wouldn't give her any medicine. How stupid is that?
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Poison ivy?
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/hives

What you've described sounds like it could be hives. Is it possible he could be allergic to his medicine?

"There are many possible causes of hives:

Medications – any medicine can potentially cause hives. Think back through the past 24 hours. Have you given your child any medication (it doesn't have to be a new medicine)? If your child is sick, have you been using any cold medicine or new kind of pain or fever medication? If so, it may be hard to tell if the hives are from the illness or the medicine. "
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 1:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2011