• In the Spotlight:

Have a new baby??

How much do you get to sleep?? I feel like I'm up all hours day and night. I breastfeed too. My son is 1 month old, is that normal? Don't I need 8 hours of sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOU need 8 hours of sleep, but your baby does not, and the second you decided to become a mother you forfeited that right.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Us women are so amazing! It is really, really hard to be sleep deprived after having a baby. I remember sleeping maybe 2 hours at a time throughout the day and night and still having to function as a normal human being. It is normal and it will pass; just hang in there and remember you're doing it for a great cause :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 11:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• haha, thanks!
    Anonymous

• You know Carolyn, you didn't have to give such a negative response. So RUDE. Anyway, YES it is very hard at first. I couldn't get any sleep at all and I had a hard labor followed by a c-section and even in the hospital they don't let you sleep. I didn't sleep more than like 3 hours at once until she was about 2.5 months old, but now she sleeps all night!! Don't worry, this phase will pass. As your baby grows, his belly will grow also and he wont have to eat as often and you will finally get some rest. Good luck . . . I know it's hard, but you can do it Mama.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Sweetheart, my baby is almost 4 months old and I have a four year old as well. I am breastfeeding too and I completely understand. Everyone will tell you, sleep when the baby sleeps. I am sorry but that is just NOT possible for me. PLEASEEE don't stop breastfeeding because you think that if they have formula that they will sleep longer, your baby won't. You are doing an amazing job, just keep at it. It's hard, but worth it, and when you think about this only being a TINY fraction of your life, you will see that it is no big deal....they are only this small, for a VERY short period of time...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My baby is two months old and her sleep pattern still has not changed yet. She sleeps about 2.5 to 3 hours everyday. I get a lot less than her since I find it very hard to fall back asleep once I am up. I also breastfeed and although I am sacrificing sleep, I think every waking moment with my baby is a blessing. Cherish the time with your baby because he/she grows fast. I can't believe two months has gone by already for us. Hang in there. You are not alone. Good luck.
    denswife

Answer by denswife at 12:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Just to add to all of the other ladies experience...I didn't get a full night sleep until my daughter was one year old. I'm hoping...really hoping the next one will be a better sleeper!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yep Yep, up all hours of the day and night lucky if I get 4 hours of sleep a day. Just try not to go crazy!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Keep nursing! Sleep when the baby sleeps during the day, co-sleep--it's much easier to nurse in bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Hi, I'm the original poster, I guess it seems my friend who had a baby she formula feeds and her 9 month old has always slept through the night and her 2 year old son sleeps like 12 hours at night. I just want to sleep, I don't have anyone to watch the baby so I can sleep, plus I still really want to breastfeed and I know that's not possible to go 8 hours without breastfeeding a baby that's only a month old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008