Do you think it's ok for young children to stay up late?

Ok, summer is here and my dh and I disagree on bedtime for our girls, ages 4 and 2. He thinks if the kids are having fun then we should disregard their bedtime. I think we should be consistent unless there is a special event where we can let them stay up a bit later, such as the 4th of July. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am a big beliver in bed time. I have 4 and 5 year old girls. We are generally in bed by 8pm unless it is a special occasion. I think it helps with the girls attitudes and behaviors through out the day.
    mrsarmykeith

Answer by mrsarmykeith at 8:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Consistency unless it is a special occasion is very important. And your bedtimes are more important as they grow older, into the teen years too.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I agree with you. Unless it's a special occassion they need to be in bed at a reasonable time. Little ones need a lot of sleep and it's best to get them used to normal bedtime hours if you are planning on sending them to public school. Not to mention that parents need downtime without the kids too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• We let them stay up a little later but not much. My kids still get up early even if they go to bed later and then they just end up grumpy. For us, it's best to stay on schedule.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• We are pretty loose on the bedtime... As long as I know she can get enough HOURS of sleep in I dont stress to much about it..
    My DD has never went to bed at 8pm :( We have tried many times lol. And here it is still day light until about 8:30ish.. so now at almost 5yo I dont attempt that early because she thinks it has to be dark before its bedtime.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think once in a while is OK.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i have 5 year old that we make her go to bed by 8 or 9 while she goes school weekly, then on week ends she gets stay up until 10pm then bed right away our boy is 3 years o bed around 8pm lol when we go
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I always thought that unless my kids are school aged and know the difference between weekdays and weekends they will continue to go to bed at the same time every night (unless, like you said, it's a special occasion). Once they start school then yes I will probably tack on an extra hour or 2 on the weekends but right now no way. They need their rest and so does mommy! Especially since they no longer nap during the day!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I keep my son at a set time-
    rec104

Answer by rec104 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• At those ages my kids had a 7pm bedtime year round unless something special was going on (like the 4th). My dad used to get mad because it was still light out when I made them go to bed but they would get up at 6am every morning no matter how late they stayed up and they needed the sleep.
    Now that they are older they have a later bedtime in the summer (they are 11, 9, 8 and 5). During the school year they go to bed at 8pm, in the summer it is 10pm unless they are whiny and cranky then I make them go to bed earlier.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2011