Any moms have some cool dinner ideas for the hot weather?

hiya moms,
was wondering if you could share your hot day dinner ideas, its hitting the 100s out here so im trying no to cook in teh kitchen too much, we dont own a grill either >_< so any no cook, cool or little cooking as possible meals would be lovely ^_^

thanks moms~

Lakoia

Asked by Lakoia at 8:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Sandwiches, anything that can be cooked on stovetop-soup or just order out ;)
    rec104

Answer by rec104 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Hummus, tomato and avocado sandwiches; black bean or chickpea salad; fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil sandwiches; spinach, walnut and strawberry salad.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• In the evening I cook for tomorrow.. tonight I made pasta salad and cupcakes for tomorrow's party. I live in Michigan and I know that it doesn't get as hot as the south.. but me being from north of the border.. I am quite unused to the heat... :)
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• When it is cooler in the morning, fry up a bunch of loose hamburger meat and freeze in appropriate size for meals like for spaghetti sauce, maid rites ( loose meat burgers), sloppy joes, hot hamburger dip- all of these can be put into a crock pot and heated on low. We also like to make alot of hard boiled eggs ahead of time and keep ready. We pickle them in left over pickle juice ( takes about a week) eat them plain with hot sauce or make egg salad. Also chefs' salalds, pita sandwiches, tuna and chicken salads placed in carved out tomatoes. We use our grill all of the time in the summer. You could maybe get a cheaper electric grill. They are great for summer time. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• wraps! we love tuna wraps- just mix up some tuna salad and put in tortilla shells, add lettuce, tomato, anything else you might want... i also give the kids cottage cheese or applesauce when i make these... really hits the spot on super hot days! :)
    aarikalynn

Answer by aarikalynn at 9:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Croissant dough unrolled and baked then cooled. Cover with herbed cream cheese and top like a pizza with whatever sounds good. I usually pick diced tomatoes, olives, sliced red pepper...it's cold pizza. Sort of. I also love wraps with ranch dressing and slices of avocado.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• If you have a crock pot, it can be your friend. No heating up the whole house and you still get baked potatoes, etc.

I'm all for the cool and quick cooks (stovetop only - I hate heating the oven during the day!) in the summer.

A big salad of romaine and spinach with drained mandarin oranges, toasted almonds, some leftover chicken, and a sesame dressing.

Stirfry with rice.

Baked potatoes (microwave or crockpot) with salad.

Crockpot BBQ with buns and slaw (and crockpot baked beans - yes, I have a few crockpots!)

I do a lot of grilling (foreman indoor, really), but I know that doesn't help you too much...
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Gazpacho! No cooking required. Canned beans make for great, high protein salads. You can add chopped veggies and mayo or use a oil/vinegar type dressing. You can eat them with tortilla chips or just out of a bowl or stuff those into pita pockets with alfalfa sprouts or lettuce.
    linda_lou

Answer by linda_lou at 11:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Wow you all have some Great dinner Ideas!!! I like to make large dinner salads because you can get creative and the combinations are endless!

I'm a Blogger:-)
    FamilyCEOMom.blogspot.com
    Kaye924

Answer by Kaye924 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Either dinner salads or sandwiches. Adding a little meat or beans to most salads can make them a complete meal. Quick, cool, easy, nutritious. Works for me. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2011