My 9 year old is still wetting the bed. Any ideas?

We have tried stopping liquids, setting a timer and waking her up every so often. I talked with the doc a couple years ago. He said she would outgrow it and if she didn't stop by puberty we could revisit the issue then. It's a problem now though. Spend the nights etc.- you can imagine plus its taking a hit on her self esteem. I googled it and did find that there is rarely a hormonal imbalance in your kidneys that can affect your ability to wake up 'cause the message is not getting to the brain. The doc also suggested cutting out caffiene. We don't drink caffiene so I know thats not the issue. Any ideas, suggestions, or anyone else had/have a child this old with this issue. Thank you!

Taterstots3

Asked by Taterstots3 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Any chance of finding a new doctor? Get a second opinion?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Any ideas, some children continue to wet the bed until they have completed puberty. But you need to rule out physical issues first. It was discovered when I was 10 that my bladder had quit growing around age 3/4. I just couldn't hold the liquids I was taking in and I was having chronic bladder and kidney infections. A visit to the urologists, a simple procedure to increase the size of my bladder and I have not had an issue since.

Take her to a UROLOGIST to rule out any physical reasons and go from there. It may honestly just take time and going through puberty.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Thank you! I think second opinion and referral to urologist is in order. twinsplus2more, I have a question. She had dry diapers pullups from around age 2 to 3...I thought great shes fully potty trained. Keep in mind she never woke up to go to bathroom at night then....anyhoo, she started wetting the bed at 3. Did you experience anything like this? Dry through the night at a young age and then it started?
    Taterstots3

Comment by Taterstots3 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Take her to a CHIROPRACTOR! This is often easily fixed with a simple adjustment. My sister in law takes my nephew to a chiropractor for this issue and she's an RN.
    Borealis

Answer by Borealis at 8:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It is not very common for a child to still wet he bed past age 7 or 8 so I say it is time for a new doctor or at least a second opinion. Have you looked into the alarms? There is a sensor in the underwear and when it senses wetness it sounds waking her up so she can stop the flow and finish in the bathroom. Helping her body to learn to wake to the sensation.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Try this site here> LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Taters - my children were either bed wetters all through or not at all. They didn't not wet and then start wetting.
    I also don't recommend Alarms - had a friend that tried them on one of her twins - traumatized him so bad and freaked out his twin also.

Now, my bed wetters were boys and as soon as they got through puberty, no more bed wetting. There were no physical issues with them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My DS wet the bed until he was 9 at 8 we got the alarm. We got one that we could adjust the volume on. He liked having it. It meant less interruptions t his sleep. No more completely changing the sheets at 3 am. Just toss a towel over the spot until morning. I ended up giving it to my sister for her 6 year old son when he was done with it. They also had good results. Our doctor recommended it.
    Anonymous

• I know they can't help it but my brother is 11 and still does it. Personally, I don't think there should be a punishment for it but they should have to wash their own bedding if they do it. I watch my brother for 2 weeks and after a week of doing it almost every day, the second week he didn't. But then my mom came home and washes the bedding for him every time and he went right back to it
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Definitely get a second opinion. Dr.s cannot know everything and perhaps an urologist can be helpful.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2011