Nationalism

Okay so many of you feel that it is essential that American kids make a pledge of allegiance on a regular basis. Does that mean Australian kids should swear fealty the Queen of England? Should the kids of all nations be brainwashed into the notion that their country is superior?

Or are we past all that bullshit? Are we all citizens of the world, in this day and age, showing respect and courtesy to people of all nations?

judimary

Asked by judimary at 8:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Feeling pride in your country doesn't mean feeling superior.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I didn't read where many said that they felt it was essential, more that they didn't mind if it was added back. I think you're over-exaggerating the situation just a tad.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Oh and there is also a difference in having pride for your country and loving your country, and being an extreme nationalist to the point of thinking your country is the best and can "do no wrong". No country is without their faults.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Are we all citizens of the world

Try going to France as a Muslim woman, telling them you're a "citizen of the world" and they don't have the right to infringe in your religious practices. Or go to China as a capitalist and tell them you don't believe the state should have any say on your ability to access the internet. See how much we are citizens of the world.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• patriotic

You have the right to not be proud to be Australaian... or American... or Tongan... or Solomon Islander... or anything else

BUT I AM PROUD TO BE

AN AMERICAN!!

patrioticpatrioticpatriotic

vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 10:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i think they should still have it in schools and let the kids participate if they want, it's not about being superiof but showing respect for your country
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I don't think there is anything wrong with having pride in your country. Just because you don't have pride in your nationality does not mean that others should not. And, no, we are not citizens of the world as long as there are countries who are going to war and inequality abounds. I am proud to be an American, but there are many countries out there that I would not be proud to be from.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Of course there are a few ignorant idiots that match the "We're better because we were born on this chunk of land" but those are in ANY country.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• its possible to both love your country & respect other countries...at least i can.

Ditto this ^^^
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i am proud of things other Americans have done (even if they werent Americans at the time). im proud of Susan B Anthony & Elizabeth Cady Stanton (and friends) who challenged their world to give me the right to vote (despite my vagina). im proud that my DH's ancestors were brave enough to battle a 3 month boat trip to settle in Virginia. im proud of my dad who served in our AF for 23 years & risked his life helping get intell from N.Korea. im proud of Mr. Brown who stood against segregation & won to allow me to know many of the wonderful ppl i know. i dont "own" it, but it affects me.

im also proud of ppl in other countries accomplishments too...proud for the human race. im also proud of my sports teams (of which i dont help), my gender (which i didnt choose), and motherhood (which i didnt plan). if you dont want to be proud of you "hunk of rock" fine, but dont piss in my cereal cause you dont think the same as me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2011