If you are pro-school prayer (in public schools):

If you support the idea of teacher-led school prayer, how would you feel if a Pagan were your kids teacher, lead them in prayers to the Greek or Norse gods? School prayer doesn't necessarily mean the prayers of your religious orientation... What if their teacher is Muslim, or Ba'hai or Hindu?

Or would you actually expect a teacher of a different religion to have to lead a prayer service to a deity they don't worship, or for a religion they don't follow? Is that even theologically advisable? Considering the commentary on here already about how non-Christians can't even have a valid opinion on the Bible, (if you are Christian) would you really want your child's hypothetical non-Christian teacher leading prayers in the name of Jesus?

Or would you be satisfied with a compromise prayer that doesn't mention any particular deity?

*THIS IS NOT A DEBATE!! I've just seen enough people in the debate area saying that they support school prayer, that I wonder how they would address these issues were school prayer re-implemented for some reason, since we live in a religiously pluralistic society

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 8:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i don't think it should be led by the teacher, the kids should be able to pray to whoever they choose without any grief from anyone else
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• *Sigh*

Again, everyone, kids can pray in schools.  So can faculty and staff.  Prayer is not, and never has been outlawed, contrary to popular belief (by some who really just want, as Shane suggested, to impose their beliefs on everyone).

I realize that the DoE Guidelines on prayer in schools is a bit tedious for many of you to read, so here's a much briefer explanation, from Snopes.com.  The article really deals with an e-petition to return organized prayer in schools, but it does explain the fact that individual prayer is not banned.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:25 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I do not agree at all with organized prayer in school.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Kids *can* (by court decision) ready do this on their own (if your school doesn't allow it, then they need to review their policy to reflect court decisions)...I'm not wondering about that sort of school prayer, but rather the people who seem to think we should go back 50+ years of Supreme Court decisions.

...sorry if that only sort of makes sense, I have a kid sleeping on my hand, lol
    thalassa

Comment by thalassa (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• being led by the teacher is a bad idea. I think the kids and faculty should be allowed to pray when and where they choose. Prayer is private. God even said not to cry out your prayers on the street like a show off (ok, not Bible terms, but cmon, its 7 am ive had no sleep, i aint quotin the Bible for ya). lol
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 8:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• ^^ this is what I'm wondering about...

Since there are people that seem to want to return organized prayer to public schools (there was a whole debate question over it, it seemed like there were people supporting the idea...does it no longer seem like such a good idea when you actually think about what that REALLY means in a pluralistic society?
    thalassa

Comment by thalassa (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Your questions show why organized prayer shouldn't be in public schools.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• In a public school, there should not be prayers led by employees of the government (aka teachers). That is illegal. Even if we were all Christian, there is a BIG difference between, say, Methodists and Jehovah's Witnesses (yes, they are Christian). How would this work?

And why the hell would any parent want someone they probably don't know to provide spiritual guidance to their children?

Anyone ever heard of separation of church and state? I would be camped on the Board of Education doorstep if I discovered someone was pulling that shit. Pray in your own home, your own church, and teach your children how to pray themselves so they can have a quiet moment of reflection in the way of your/their religion. Religion is personal - leave it that way.

Don't we have a hard enough time actually educating children these days with all the standardized testing, budget cuts, violence, etc., that we need to add more trouble to the mix?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Well I do not support the teacher leading in his/her faith but that each and every child do so in their way. That is more fair and free.
    I have no problems with public schools.. what better way to be a Christian than to those who do not yet believe.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2011