Breast milk not coming in right..

For the past 3 days my boobs have only been filling up at night when Im asleep. I thought that I might not have enough fluids so I increased my fluid intake and my food intake (good food not junk) and still. I dont know what to do. I think its affect my DS his feedings have only been lasting about 5 minutes instead of 10.

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just chiming in with others to say it's normal to stop having that "full" feeling ... eventually you'll stop ruining shirts too! LOL That "full" feeling is actually mild engorgement, and when the tissues of the breast are enflamed, it's harder for the milk to be pulled out of them. Without that engorgement, it doesn't take as long for them to be emptied, so baby nurses for shorter periods. Not to mention that you're probably letting down faster so the feedings are going faster. As long as baby is having enough wet diapers, she's getting enough milk from you. She can't put out what isn't going in. KWIM? So this is all GOOD, it's a good thing you're not feeling full. :) It means everything is going well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Try taking Fenugreek to get your supply back up, and if you have a pump, pump after each feeding. Eventually your supply will be were you want it.

It sounds like your producing more at night then you are during the day. It's easily fixed so don't stress:)
    LuvMybebe

Answer by LuvMybebe at 12:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Start pumping during the day every time after you feed.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Depending on how old your baby is, you might just be losing that full feeling. It's normal, your milk supply is just regulating itself. You can weigh your baby, nurse then weigh again to see how many ounces he's taking in.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• your breast will not always feel full! Your body will start to regulate how much the baby needs. It's supply and demand. The more your baby nurses then your body will start making mor. Your baby is probly not eating as much at night and that is why you are fuller at night.

Go to www. kellymom.com
    Faewds

Answer by Faewds at 12:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• sorry i didn't mean to end my post so abruptly! I had a phone call!
    Just keep bfeeding on demand and make sure the baby is having plenty of wet diapers. And the website I mentioned in the previous post is full of really great information!
    Good luck to you, you are doing a wonderful thing for you and your baby!
    Faewds

Answer by Faewds at 12:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yeah, I agree with Faewds. Your supply is probably fine, it's just regulating to how much your baby has been eating. If you changed your diet to include more/better calories then that will be reflected in your milk. It will be more filling, so that could explain the change in eating habits. Also, how quickly your milk lets down. He will fill up faster if your milk lets down faster.

They also go through a lot of ups and downs in the first year as far as eating patterns. He may just be in between growth spurts and not needing as much right now. Don't stress about your supply though. If he's not acting like he's still hungry after he nurses and you still get a full feeling there's nothing wrong with your supply :] You're doing great!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• whatever you do, don't supplement out of fear of not making enough milk! you probably are making enough. is your baby being satisfied during the day?? or is he/she still fussy after nursing? kellymom.com is the breastfeeding bible (lol)... but seriously, don't supplement, unless you WANT to start losing your supply
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 2:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It sounds like your supply is trying to regulate itself. its pretty normal. Let it be, and nurse on demand, when the baby wants it.. Don't supplement her with formula, that'll definitely sabotage your milk supply.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree that this all sounds normal, and has nothing to do with your supply. Baby has become more efficient at nursing, so he can eat a lot in a shorter period, and you're not feeling full because your supply has probably adjusted to his needs. There's nothing you need to do but keep nursing, because you're doing a great job.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008