Breast feeding moms when and how did you wean your baby from the breast?

Do you get engorged when you stop...... my baby is only 3 months I'm just curious for the future

MzKemper

Asked by MzKemper at 9:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really depends on how abruptly you decide to wean. Typically when you wean, you do it over a period of weeks, dropping one daily feeding a week. In my case I nursed on demand and pumped every three hours at work for the first year. After that I stopped pumping at work without ill effect and continued nursing on demand at home, which had slowed down by time she reached a year. Finally, now that she is two, she nurses once in the morning and that is it. Honestly, I don't even know if I'm producing anything at this point, but she enjoys it and it doesn't bother me.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• If you wean slowly you won't get engorged. The slowest way... do nothing. Baby will do it. A faster way... drop one feeding per week till gone.

I did "don't offer don't refuse" which is precisely as described. I neither offered nor refused to nurse at the one year mark. Easiest way for mom to lead the weaning.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My oldest weaned herself around 14 mos, likely due to my pregnancy. Semi gradually, so no engorgement. My second gradually weaned over a few years. He'll be 4 in Aug and just gave up his bedtime (last) nursing session a few mos ago.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2011