What are your thoughts on homeschooling?

Someone recently posted a question about education, and I noticed some moms homeschool their kids. Do you think homeschooling rivals the public school system and/or private schools? Or do you feel that kids are better off in a public or private school setting? Why?

sgalsmommy

Asked by sgalsmommy at 12:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• to each their own.

my opinion is that homeschooled children can be somewhat close-minded and not taught all sides of things. the parent chooses what to teach where as public and private schools have curriculums they have to follow according to the state government
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My daughter home schools both her kids & you couldn't ask for nicer, more well rounded kids, at least up to this moment...you know how kids are.....
    Macysheryl

Answer by Macysheryl at 12:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Macysheryl, how long will she homeschool? Does she intend on seeing them through high school?

And I know what you mean about kids...I have two very fickle, unpredictable ones that keep us on our toes!
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 12:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• If it's what you think is best for your kids - go for it!

Personally, it's not for me. I am lucky enough to live in a fantastic school district. The schools (particularly the high school) is up-to-par. However, I understand that this is NOT the case everywhere. If you feel that your child would be better of being homeschooled, than hooray for being a good parent.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I am for public schooling, I think the earlier children are introduced to the "real world" the better they will be for it. My children both attend public school and they love it, are very popular and very well rounded individiuals. Their school integrates the children with special needs into the other classrooms during the day and my son loves to be their helpers. In his 9 year old words, "they are no different than us they just have to learn things a different way" I am so proud of both our babies.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Not for me.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We home-school for many reasons. When people ask me why we do, I usually say, "do you want the whole list or just the top ten?" However, it is a very personal choice and I will not condemn anyone for not making the same one I do.

I can tell you, we love it and my daughter (my youngest won't test until next year)  has done very well on equivalency tests--  scored very high for her grade level. 

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I homeschooled my first two all the way to graduation. They are wonderful, very social adults, very smart, have businesses and are civic and politically minded. The 3rd homeschooled to 10th grade and then I was div. so he entered public school and did very well. Now he is career Air Force and about to go into an Officer program. The 4th was homeschooled till 7, placed in public school (at the same time of the div.) and is now again homeschooled. We live in a school district that has the highest concentration of scientist, chemist and such in the world. At the same time, while his education from books was on a high level, so was his introduction of subverse things.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• continued...I am also a substitute teacher for the elementary grades and have found that while there are wonderful children coming from wonderful homes, there are also children who are coming from homes being raised to be criminals, and I say that carefully and sadly, but I do mean it. I have witnessed incredible behavior from children who know no better. The children who come from good homes are unable to protect themself and often believe that this bad behavior is normal, b/c they are exposed to it so often. It makes me sad. So this year we homeschool, to recapture my child's heart and attention, and then we plan to send him to a private school for his 9th grade. :)
    lifeasinoit

• I think it depends on the parents, the system set in place in the area their children are schooling, and the children's educational needs.  I was homeschooled and chose to be so, I also graduated early at 16 and went off to collage whereas my peers were still dealing with the peer pressures and immaturity of high school I was able to get a higher education surrounded by more mature people.  Yes, if done right homeschooling can become a higher form of education than even private school. My children are now homeschooled through a charter program their CT (certified teacher that comes out once a month) used to be a private school teacher and agrees with my take on homeschooling... it's not for the lazy, or weak parents, or emotionally challenged.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2008