Should I feel bad about this?

I was browsing craigslist for a chair tonight, and I thought I'd take a look at some of the baby stuff. I found The EXACT exersaucer that I wanted for less then half the price in the store, not to mention this thing is out of stock everywhere. It is in excellent condition. Then I noticed another posting for a bundle of toys. I checked it out and saw that the things shown were almost everything we planned on getting the baby for Christmas! Some of the stuff was still in the original packaging and she only wanted 8 bucks for all of it! To get everything in the store, we'd be paying almost $200. On craigslist, about $45. So, my question is, should I feel bad about giving my baby used stuff for Christmas? It is his first and he is 5 months old. Thank you for your time!

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 12:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nooooooooo.just clean them =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Of course not. He will never know the difference. The money you save on his toys can be used for diapers or other stuff he needs. Don't feel bad at all . . . like the pp said, just clean it and it will be like brand new. Babies this age grow out of their toys so quickly, they will probably all be like brand new!! And when you're done with it, you can give it dirt cheap to another family!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• hey it doesent make a difference what you pay if it serves the same perpose. id do it. but do clean
    them. i love clorox hard surface
    carolinagirl820

Answer by carolinagirl820 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• why would you have to feel bad? where is the law that says you HAVE to buy brand new things for xmas anyhow? It's new to the kid right? soooo, I dont see the big deal. In fact, I applaud you for saving money! (and in a way recycling) Very nice. I wish more people would do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Not at all! At this time, saving money is all everyone is thinking about. For my mommies group, this year we're having a christmas swap of our toys and baby clothes instead of a secret santa.
    LuvMybebe

Answer by LuvMybebe at 12:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• absolutely not, having a new baby is very expensive, and they are to young to care what is new and what is used, having new and interesting things to play with is what they want :)
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Thank you all. This is mostly about my husband. He thinks HIS baby should have the best (and new). I am planning on cloroxing everything, but like I said most of the stuff was brand new anyway. I guess you can't be too careful though.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Of course not!!! Why wouldn't you? I agree with all the previous answers. You are setting the president now for future Christmasses too (even though you probably don't realize it yet) I wish that I had been more frugal in the beginning because now my kids just expect a lot for Christmas and we don't have the money, so I have to deal with the guilt of the possibility of them being disappointed. But, then again I don't because I want to show them, and not just preach that that is not what Christmas is about. Good for you! I'm jealous that you found such deals!! Merry Christmas Momma!
    nicole0005

Answer by nicole0005 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• He won't care. If you really want to feel better about it, put the difference into a savings account or college fund for him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• He's not going to know the difference. At that age he would be happy with just the wrapping paper itself! I plan on just wrapping up some items around the house. The stuff he likes the most anyway is the tv remote, bottled water bottles, cardboard boxes, etc.!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2008