Fireplaces?

That smoking question got me thinking, do you think having a wood burning fireplace can harm you or your kids? I'm sure at least a little bit of smoke gets in the house, it can't all possibly go up the chimney. Ours is just a brick fireplace, with a gate thing that goes in the front, no glass doors or anything. Any input would be appreciated.

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 12:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I think fireplaces are more dangerous. My old neighbor's house burned down because of the fireplace not being cleaned properly every year. killed everyone in the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• :o
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I love my fireplace and yes, a little smoke does get in the house. I just don't light it everyday and I clean it out after every fire. There's nothing cozier than a fire on a cold winter's day.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We have a fireplace but unfortunately the heat that it puts out doesn't equal the amount of cold that it lets in when we open the flue or whatever it's called. So we only light it on special occasions such as christmas, and thanksgiving, or when we're trying to be romantical. But fires starting in the chimney creep me out, so we use the logs that are suppose to help clean it out after every use, and we still have it inspected each year at the beginning of the fall to make sure it's safe and to see if it needs professional cleaning, and so far it hasn't.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We have a fireplace but my house catching on fire has always been my worst fear thus we do not use it!
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 1:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We have a fireplace but proper maintenance is a must! It needs to be inspected by a chimney sweep, also knowing how to properly work the flue when building a fire will prevent the majority of any smoke coming in. Cold air is heavier, so you have to have the flue open while the fire is building or the smoke will pour inside, once it warms up, then you will get the benefits of the nice warm fire. I am leary of fires too because my home's chimney caught on fire once when I was a child, I will never forget it. No serious damage was done but it was scary. I still love a fireplace, I just maintain it!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2008