2 days in preschool and she's already sick...

There's always some sickly kid or two in the classroom it seems.. Any tips on preventing your kid from getting sick? The teachers constantly wash the kids hands.. she has a multi vitamin everyday and eats & drinks tons of oranges/juice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Better get used to it, lol! Wherever there's preschoolers, there's germs. There's just no way around it. It sounds like you're doing all that you can do.

When I first started working with children, I called in sick ALL THE TIME! I felt so bad about it but I was puking and had strep and you name it! My boss was understanding thankfully and realized that it happens when you're working in that kind of environment.

Do the best you can with teaching her good hygiene...covering her coughs the right way and so on. Hopefully they're teaching that in her class as well.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• honestly, she just needs exposed to the germs. once her body builds up the antigens to the germs, she won't get sick from them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yeah, just keep her going, it will build up her immunities. My daughter was like that too the first time she went to day care. She rarely gets sick now. My son too. I honestly think it's good for them.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• If it has only been two days, she probably did not pick it up in daycare. Usually the incubation period is longer than that.

But.... on average children in daycare tend to get an illness a month and subsequently build super strong immune systems. It sounds that you and daycare are taking the appropriate steps to prevent illness.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It's just a fact of going to pre-k or daycare. All 3 of my kids got sick quite a bit at first. My oldest is now going on 11 and hasn't missed more than 3 days of school per year. DD is 9 and is about the same, except for last year when she had perfect attendance. DS2 is still in pre-k and it's getting better. The first 2 months were the hardest. It will get better.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• this is kind of expected at daycares isnt it? and just let her be exposed, i mean keep her healthy and make sure she is clean and washed up and warm but exposure will build her immunity which is good for children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• On average, kids not in daycare still have 8 colds per year. The average increases once they start daycare/preschool....and mega doses of vitamin C don't do anything.

My kids don't take any vitamins and can't eat citrus because of a sensitivity to it...they aren't sick any more than other kids in my oldest's preschool class.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• By the way watch what soap does the teacher use. The antibacterial soap is actually worse for them. It gets rid of bad and good germs. Ask her to use just the regular soap instead and the kids might get better.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 9:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Soon she will have the constitution of a horse. Germs will see her and say, "oh no, your immune system can't be penetrated. Rats!" and they will then pass her by. In the mean time washing hands is the best prevention. Atibacterial soap and hand sanitizers are not neccessary. Just plain soap and warm water. It doesn't have to be scalding. I work in the health field with ill people and am exposed to all kinds of crap (sometimes literally). Teach her good hand washing skills. Most don't have it. Not even teachers. Turn on the sink to desired temp., have paper towel handy - one for washing and one for turning off the sink. Then scrub hands and nail area while singing happy birthday twice through (slowly). Rince under the water after the song for another round of happy birthday. Take one towel to wipe hand and other used to turn off sink.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• cont..Teach her not to drink after anyone or share their drinks. Seems like common sense but kids do it all the time. Or eat a half eaten cookie after someone else. Personally I think I always thougtht that gross even at that young age. Have her carry around a tissue to be kind to others when she sneezes. Wash after sneezing or coughing. If she sees others sneezing or coughing while sharing community property (toys, books, crayons) she should let the teacher know so that she can clean said items. Suggest to the teacher that items used by children with a known cold or what have you be placed in a box to be cleaned that night. Or set up parent volunteers to clean the class room to get rid of germs. Yes, the custodial staff comes in. But it doesn't do much in terms of wiping every desk off and using lysol. Parents could set up a volunteer patrol to clean.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008