What do fireworks have to do with July 4th?? VENT

Ones that leave the ground are illegal here but they still sell them and of course the assholes set them off for days ALL NIGHT LONG! Obviously folks with no jobs if they can stay up til 4am setting them off!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I hear ya!! I was just thinking the same thing!! I am totally ready for this stupid Holiday to be over! Enough with the ILLEGAL fireworks already… kids are trying to sleep… we are just TRYING to HEAR a freaken movie in our own home!! UGH!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• ha. I am enduring the neighborhood fireworks too. My kids are scared of the noise. My kids go to be btwn 7 and 8 and wake up screaming in terror because it sounds like bombs are going off all around us. I have my four year old wearing sound reducing earmuffs and he has a fan and an air purifier going on in his room. He still keeps coming out and crying. He'll probably end up in my bed tonight.
    linda_lou

Answer by linda_lou at 10:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Oh and my yard will be full of the garbage from it all. I hate fireworks. I sound like a humbug, don't I?
    linda_lou

Answer by linda_lou at 10:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think we should be spectators only -- leave the discharging of fireworks up to the professionals! Wanna be patriotic? Wave a freakin flag!
    smiles551

Answer by smiles551 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• well i guess i will be the only one in favor of this i love the fireworks and love the fact that all the neighbors do them for days on end. but i guess we are lucky b/c they dont do them that late so maybe thats why we enjoy them so much
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I can understand wanting to light off fireworks at a reasonable time. But after 11:30/midnight IMO it's too late and should stop.

Fireworks are technically illegal within city limits in my town but they haven't been enforcing the law too strictly.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I want to add... the exception to this is firecrackers. I freaking hate firecrackers.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• ...and bombs bursting in air, gave PROOF through the night that our flag was still there! Oh say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave..

patriotic

vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• America’s earliest settlers brought fireworks to the United States and used them to celebrate important events, including the Independence Day celebration of 1777.

didn't verify the source but it was something I heard as a child.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• http://blog.smithsonianstudenttravel.com/2011/07/4th-of-july-fireworks.html

Fireworks as a 4th of July tradition

By the time of the American Revolution, fireworks were popular entertainment at celebrations throughout Europe, including England. So while we don’t have any evidence that there were fireworks for that first 4th of July, 1776, we do know the idea of fireworks for subsequent Independence Day celebrations was on the mind of at least one founding father. Here’s what John Adams wrote to his wife, Abigail:

“I believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be celebrated by pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations [i.e. fireworks] from one end of this continent to the other.”
    miss_lisa