Is there anyone planning to have natural birth?

I have always wanted to give birth naturally i dont want any drugs. Im not even a big fan of tylenol. I just wondered what others experiences have been, and would it be worth my time to take lamaze classes. I've had ppl laugh when i tell them i want to do it naturally. the way i look at it is our bodies are made to do this and if i believe in my self i know i can do it. i dont want to be so out of it, that i feel like i didnt do anything. i never take any kind of pain meds so i know an epi would numb me up good and i dont want that. I also dont want it to effect my baby. i know they say it dosent but it has to in some way.

shannoncampbell

Asked by shannoncampbell at 11:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i didn't plan on natural. but when i went into labor it was way easier than i thought. giving birth was an absolute breeze
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had my kids naturally. It is a good idea to take a class but you may want to look into a private instructor instead of a hospital based class.
    You may also want to get a doula. Surround yourself with people who will support you and help you achieve it!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I am not very good with pain, and with my son I did have a epi. The pain was very intense and I really look up to anyone who did it all naturally! It is amazing. Unfortually for me with my son I had to have a c-section, and now with my next kid I have a 10% chance of VBAC. My doctor said that she will support me but does not recommend it :-(
    jessicapoker

Answer by jessicapoker at 11:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had both of my boys without an epidural, and the biggest advise I can offer is, have a great support team! Have people in the delivery room who support your choice in having a natural birth and who are going to help you in any way they can to help you achieve it. Also, learn learn learn! Teach yourself as much as you can about childbirth, the process and the feelings. The more you know, the less you have to fear, and therefore, your pain will be lessened.
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had a natural birth with both of my children. I got the same reaction from people and I did it for the same reasons you are. I didn't bother with lamaze classes...it's mainly about keeping calm and breathing without hyperventilating. It was uncomfortable and a bit painful, I can't lie about that but it was all worth it.
    jamieleea

Answer by jamieleea at 11:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had an epi with my first although my the time I started to push it wasn't working that much..with my last 2 children I had both of them naturally. I would say if you can do it go for it. I felt much better after my second 2 children then after the first. I would also say be open minded about things and if you are in labor for a long time and the doctors, or you feel that an epi would help don't be upset about getting one. I know with my 3rd child I wanted to do it naturally although after a few hours I was in so much pain I was crying and saying I can't do this, I need to have an epi. After about 20 min my DH called the nurse and she said "let me page the doctor and we will get the epi set up for you. Go to the bath room and get back in bed." I didn't even make it to the bathroom. After walking a few steps I realized that the babies head was right there. She was born 10 min later.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Did it! IF they say pitocin and can't give you a VERY good reason, say NO loudly! The pitocin makes it hurt!!

Good luck and do look into classes and a supporter to have with you when you go to the hospital (if you are doing that) to make sure your wishes are followed.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i plan on giving natural childbirth in September :)
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 11:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I always planned on having my kids naturally and I did for both of them. I had back labor for both and the pain was very intense but if you are prepared mentally for it then it can be done! You are right, we are made for this, women are strong and have been doing this for hundreds of years so why not you? I didn't take any type of birth classes but there is nothing to lose if you do. Good luck, and you won't regret it. I believe you are making the best choice.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Good for you! The people that laugh at you should mind their own business. I also always said I wanted to have a natural birth way before I became pregnant, to see if I can handle it and people laughed at me and told me that " I'm nobody's hero". Well, I wasn't doing it for " everyone else" I was doing it for myself and you know, I'm my own hero!
    Your 100% correct, our bodies are made to do exactly this and when you're doing it naturally, you are actively working with your body to deliver your child.
    Also I totally agree with @MrsMWF.
    Good luck to you, and dont listen to what other people are telling you. It's your body, and your baby and you should decide what works best for you.
    miniemuss

Answer by miniemuss at 11:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2011