4 year old son has a fever of 102.4

The doctor says his symptoms (fever, head ache, body aches) resemble West Nile and we're keeping a close eye on him. This all started last night and I am starting to worry about him. I am really praying that he is feeling well enough to watch the fireworks tomorrow night because he is REALLY looking forward to it!! Anyway, does anyone have have any other ideas for a fever this high in July? Have any of you dealt with a little one having West Nile? Should I take him in to see the doctor tomorrow or just keep communicating with him over the phone? Can they test for West Nile?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I wouldn't prioritize fireworks if it was my child. Follow your doctor's recommendations, keep him hydrated and ask your doctor if tests can be done to confirm west nile. good luck
    Queenie_Mab

Answer by Queenie_Mab at 11:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My daughter usually gets very high fevers when she gets sick. Here are some of the things I do to bring the fever down:
    1. alternate tylenol and motrin (talk to your doctor about this)
    2. I put washcloths in ice water then squeeze the water out and put it on her forehead and head
    3. make sure he gets lots of fluids (pedialyte, water)
    4. Fevers terrify me, so if the fever persists for 24 hours I run to urgent care. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Sometimes, over the phone they can't correctly diagnos what's wrong with a child.
    I hope his fever goes down for good tonight.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• You can give him tylenol & motrin at the same time. These are different medications that both work to reduce fever. A wet cool wash rag on his forhead and back of his neck.
    Use "webmd.com" to search west nile.
    Hope he feels better...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Google it...West Nile

But for the meantime alternate Tylenol & Motrin every 2hrs. (T @ 11 then M @ 1 then T @ 3 then M @ 5 and so on) hope your baby feels better at least like this you can control his fever you might want to put a cold wash cloth over his forehead. And just keep in touch with the doctor over the phone unless you want to take him. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• make sure to have him drinks lots of fluids i hope he feels better soon :)
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 11:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• No experience with west nile but my DS tends to get really high fevers. He was once hospitalized for a fever of 105.7. I usually give him tylonol or motrin and dont really bother the DR if its anything below 103. If you suspect west nile then i would suggest keeping a close eye if he dosent improve or gets worse the take him to the ER. Also, theres this old german remedie that i use and works well, i put ice water in a bowl with about 1/2 cup white vinegar and dip the washrag and wet him with it. seems to work better then just plain water. Then DH has a Puerto Rican remedie..same thing, ice water and florida water (its perfume that you get a the grocery store) which works very well it think because of the alcohol content in the perfume. Hope this helps
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 11:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• and i let DS have as many ice pops as he wants..helps keep him cool and hydrated
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 11:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• keep an eye on the fever and talk with the doctor.. I would forget about fireworks and focus on my kids health first and formost.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• 102 isn't that bad actually. Not great but not that bad. I would think they can test but I would think it'll take time. I'd just bring him in to feel better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It sounds like the average flu in my house. like others have said, keep him hydrated, and you can alternate motrin and tylenol to keep his fever down. Hope he feels better soon. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2011