American

Am I less American if I do not celebrate the holidays.
Yes I was in the military years ago

peace5

Asked by peace5 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I like to celebrate holidays because it is a fun and happy time for me. But if you choose to not celebrate then that's up to you, as long as you don't bother people who do celebrate the Hoildays with negative reasons.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• You can be a proud American without celebrating a holiday . It is a free country , you are free to do as you choose
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• No. I don't see how not celebrating holidays would make you any less of an American.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I do not want their family in my yard,the noise to be loud and any flags over my yard. neighbor told me I was not an American
    peace5

Comment by peace5 (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• its your yard. i don't want dog poop in my yard, but that doesn't mean i don't like dogs. well, actually, i don't like dogs..
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• there is nothing wrong with not wanting to celebrate. and nothing wrong with not wanting noisy people in your yard. i think you are MORE american for exercising your freedom of choice
    ajs16919

Answer by ajs16919 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Nope it does not make you less of an American. In fact, I know many war vets do not  like to celebrate this holiday because the sound brings back the sounds of war. But they do not take away the right to celebrate.

and thank you for serving our country!!!

american flag ribbon

vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• No, it does not. The holiday is full of loud fireworks, neighbors who leave all of their trash in our yard (because the throw the damn things at our house), and my husband's overbearing mother. I can't stand the 4th of July either, but I love America.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Nope. Not if you don't want to. Isn't that what freedom is all about?

Thank you for your service.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I prefer to celebrate the 4th quietly. I have dogs that are terrified of fireworks and 100 other animals who aren't deserving of the stress and outright fear that all the noise brings.

I prefer to celebrate without alcohol, the stupid human tricks (and vomit) that generally accompany it.

I love my country. I'm darn proud that I was born here and willing to work to fulfill the responsibilities that keep my rights. I'm capable of flying my flag, eating my hotdogs and apple pie, and remembering what this day stands for without the 'loud' (and occasionally just plain obnoxious) that some people need.

We're a military family also ~ thank you for your service peace5 ~ hope your day is a good one.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2011