Do you know of any Christmas gift ideas for a child with autism? (Any age under teens)

Just wondering if you mommies have children with autism and can provide ideas or if you work with autistic kids or know some.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 12:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• My daughter is 6 1/2 and has moderate to severe autism (minimal language and not potty trained etc.). All kids want different things even kids with autism but things that she would like are weird fidget toys (think the hairy/squishy ball type stuff), playdoh, books, movies, puzzles, legos, You know those wooden sets by Melissa and Doug? they have them at toysrus by the books. My daughter LOVES any of those sets that would be my number 1 reccomendation for any child with autism because they are fun and educational and simple enough. Musical instruments (if the child doesnt have a hearing aversion to it). My daughter likes animals so the little pet shops she loves currently, she used to love any miniature animals and dinosaurs but she isnt feeling those much anymore.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• it'd really depend on what he's into.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• They have some great gift in that national geographic store in the malls they have toys for children with learning disablities
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I used to work with Autistic kids. Anything that will stimulate them is great. It really depends on the level of Autism. Are they higher functioning? If they are, books are wonderful. One child I worked with loved beads, and another loved to bake. I can't give you a generalized idea, but I hope I was somewhat helpful.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• For my daughter the things to avoid would be dolls, barbies, coloring books etc. she absolutely HATES that kind of stuff lol. Depending on the age of the child you may want to avoid things with very very small pieces like say polly pocket size. They will just get lost or swallowed if they are like my daughter who mouths everything to get sensory input. Think of the age they act and those toys are usually appropriate.. most kids my daughters age like hannah montana etc.. my daughter wouldnt know her from elmo and wouldnt care for any toys in that theme.. she is more like a 3 yr old in her interests. I am happy to help more if you want to message me back.
    Crystal42683