Are you sick of close-minded people?

i feel that society is becoming way too judge-mental. i have no problems with people believing in whatever they believe. whether it be politics, religion, whatever...i think everyone has the right to freedom of choice. i don't believe in abortion, but if someone wants to have an abortion that is their choice. i'm not gay, but i think gay marriage should be legal. i don't understand why people are so against gay marriage or other personal descisions. if what makes you happy isn't harming anyone else, then why should i care what you are doing? i understand that some religious people are offended by the thought of gay marriage. but i think that people need to start realizing that not everyone is Christian. or that even some christian's are gay. all i'm saying is just because someone is doing something you wouldn't choose to do doesn't mean it is wrong or should be illegal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• you have a right to your own opinion - if you HATE the idea of gay marriage, its YOUR OPINION - but why is it any of YOUR business what other people do? same with abortion, you can HATE abortion all you want - but its none of YOUR business what other women do with their own bodies. i agree completely........and i also understood exactly what she was saying. i dont think everyone else really understood what she said. no one who is FOR gay marriage would force you to marry someone of your own sex, just like no one who thinks its none of their business what each individual woman does with her womb would say "you MUST get an abortion, because i am a control freak who is for abortion, and everyone MUST do as I THINK" and my answer to your question is YES, i am sick of close minded people.
    barrelracer1977

Answer by barrelracer1977 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I'll get vote downs for this, but your right, everyone has the right to believe what they believe. I have the right to vote against gay marriage. I have the right to vote and voice my opinion and beliefs about what will influence the society that my children and their children are going to be raised in. But it's being judgemental when I stand up for what I believe in.

Anonymous

• I am sick of stupid people.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I don't think there are as many closed minded people out there as you make it sound. JMO. As for gay marriage, I am fine with it however since the issue comes up as a vote on a ballot (forget for a minutes that it's not really something that should be up for a vote) then I also support individual rights to vote their conscience. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• What I am sick of people who lack respect for others' opinions. Just because someone has a POV different from your own, does make their POV any less provocative or intelligent. You do your thing and I'm fine with it, but then I expect that you will also be accepting and respectful of me doing my thing. For example, if you're anti-gay marriage, do not engage in that behavior. If you're against abortion, do not have one. If you claim to be religious, live, act and follow all the tenets of that particular faith, and respectfully allow me to do the same.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• "Close minded people" will always be with us and they act as a counter-weight to open minded people that have not formed an opinion that they can embrace. It would be a mistake to fail to come to an opinion because of a fear of being labeled "close minded" by those of another opinion. Part of maturity is knowing what you believe in and not being afraid to stand your ground against attempted intimidation. It is important to ground your children with the basics they need to defend themselves against the bullies in the world.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:21 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• OP you are judging people for not being just like you. We all have the right to believe and think how we like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• That's okay. Its okay to post ANon if it makes you comfortable. I just really liked your post!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice 27 minutes ago
    32901 Level 27 1 star1 star1 star Politics & Current Events Major

LMAO. How many times have you condemned people for it???
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I did not say which part of your post I agree/disagree with.

But, a lot of the members on here call others closed minded for not believing as they do on issues such as the marriage issue, abortion, breastfeeding/formula feeding, rear facing in car seats, circumcision, and countless other issues. I see it all the time. But, I think that they fail to realize how judgmental and "closed minded" they are by judging those who believe differently than they do.  My original answer was not directed at only you, but all of those that use that term way too loosely.

kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Nope, but I think that some people are so open minded and accepting that their brains are about to fall out of their heads
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2011