How do you get your seven week old wanting to sleep in their crib and what are ways i can get rid of cradle cap?? PLEASE HELP ANY ANSWERS APPRECIATED!!

I have two different questions for right now, The first one is how can i get my little girl to want to sleep in her crib, Or even her bassinett? It seems like she can fall asleep on me like cake walk, but as soon as i put her down and walk out of the room she will wake up and start crying, or she will sleep for ten minutes tops and then cry, Is it because she realizes i am not in the room with her or what? I would really like to know what i can do. I want her to get used to one of the two very soon. And my second question would be how do i get rid of cradle cap? I think thats what my daughter has, It is on her eyebrows and looks like patchy yellowish dry skin..What can i do for that? Please let me know. Thank you.
New mommy of a precious daughter <3
** ALSO MOMMIES - Feel free to invite me as a friend to your page, I am new to this site and would love other moms to talk to!!!**

Proudnewmommy11

Asked by Proudnewmommy11 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cradle cap can clear up by itself somtimes my son had it and went away by itself or sometimes while ur giving them a bath u can rub it off lightly with baby shampooo thats wat i did worked fine
    maria4540

Answer by maria4540 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My son had cradle cap BAD. I bathed him every other night (every night made it worse), and tried to losen it with my nails. Then, I'd use baby oil and really work it into his scalp. And I'd try to "scratch" off (i didnt ever do it hard...was always scared to hurt him)any patches I saw along the way.
    As far as sleeping in the crib, put something in her crib that smells like you. And try swaddleing blankets. They helped with my INCREDIBLY colicy lil one. So, maybe cuddle up to the blanket yourself for a while (so it has your scent), then rock her to sleep in it, and lay her in the bed.
    Hope this helps!!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 11:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Sleeping: at 7 weeks old she's still trying to figure out which way up is. While she was in the womb she had LOTS of noises to soothe and comfort her. Now she's in a room, and a bed, all by herself with SILENCE. I'd have a hard time sleeping then too. Try a white noise machine, or radio or fan.

Cradle Cap: It will go away on it's own, eventually. It bothers us moms more than it ever bothers baby. I'd always just pick/flake it off.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• All babies shed the skin that they had in utero...the underwater layer will sluff off and be replaced by "normal" skin. Maybe that's what's happening to her eyebrows? It happened to my son at about 4 weeks...

If it is "cradle cap" / dandruff, just use baby shampoo when you bathe her.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Thank you both!! I appreciate those answers, I will try that blanket/scent...I just get worried about having anything in the crib with her because of that word i dont like to talk about!! You know? Being a new mom can be so stressful with all the worries and all!!
    Proudnewmommy11

Comment by Proudnewmommy11 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• for putting her down you may want to warm up her bed before putting her down. She is going from a nice warm snuggly place where she may be listening to your heart beat, to the cold lonely crib. Take a heating pad and put it on her sheets jsut to warm it up a little. Swaddle her.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 12:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• they say to use baby oil on it.. but i lotion my baby girl every night head to toe.. couldnt stand how baby oil made her look lol.. my daughter was the same way about sleeping in her bed so i had to start swaddling her and lettin her sleep in her car seat (inside her bed-wierd i know lol) when she turned 3 months i took her out and she's now 4 months and sleepin soundly in her bed.. make sure if you swaddle her NOT to swaddle her feet and legs.. they need to move freely..good luck..
    carrientravisj1

Answer by carrientravisj1 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• As far sleeping for you little princess....this will take incredible patience from you! You must not hold her while she needs to sleep at any time while you're at home. Place her in the crib/bassinet and gently pat her chest or back (which ever you prefer) and say to her "Goodnight my little princess" in your sweetest voice. Then walk out of the room or atleast where she can't see you.....now she will probably cry and thats ok....just wait for about 5 min then walk over not saying anything to her just pat her back/chest gently for a min or so then walk away again....Continue this cycle until she falls asleep. This will teach her to self-soothe and to STAY asleep because mommy's not gonna fall for my crying. Its gonna be tough in the begining so I advise you to grab a good magazine and a cup of coffee to help YOU stay calm while going through the process! It has worked for all 3 of my kids! Good luck!
    frstldyhmsch

Answer by frstldyhmsch at 12:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• As far as cradle cap use your regular baby shampoo and use either the baby brush or comb to gently scratch the affected areas. Then rinse well and while the skin is still wet apply olive oil (just a little) to the areas and massage into the skin and cover the head with a baby cap for about 5 min (its like a mini hot oil treatment!) then remove the hat and don't wash the oil out. Repeat every day until the cradle cap is gone!
    frstldyhmsch

Answer by frstldyhmsch at 12:17 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I went thru both of the scenarios you mentioned to with my DD. in the beginning I started putting her to bed and she would fuss a little bit, but eventually this tapered off. Like the others said, you have to put her to crib/bassinet, and leave the room. having a quiet, dark setting will help as well. it takes time so be consistent and it will help along in that regard.

as for the cradle cap situation, I used baby oil, and applied it daily for about a week or so and it disappeared. Idk how other babies are but my DD has dry skin. I apply baby lotion to her at every changing. it has helped with her eczema.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 12:32 AM on Jul. 4, 2011