• In the Spotlight:

Second C-section

My husband and I just started trying for another child, and I know that I am worrying about this too soon, but we talked with our doctor about doing a VBAC because my son was a emergency c-section. And she said that we had only a 10% chance of having a sucessfull VBAC. I have become ok with the thought of not having a VBAC, but am freaking out about having a nother c-section. My first one was terrible, first it was emergency, and then I lost a ton of blood, and my c-section took 5 hours.

jessicapoker

Asked by jessicapoker at 12:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Get a second opinion.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Every pregnancy and delivery are as different. My SIL was scared too. She had a long recovery from an emergency c-section with her first. She did everything she could to have a VBAC, but a couple weeks before her due date she was told she wouldn't be able to have one, or at least that it was highly unlikely. She had a c-section, and bounced right back. It was nothing at all like her first c-section.

Just take it one day at a time girl. It'll work itself out.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 12:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My first was an emergency C-section as well, after 24+ hours of "labor". I was given a 50% chance of a successful VBAC with my second. We chose to have a planned C-section. It was a good choice for us. Both children's heads were the same circumference at birth, so were too big to fit through me.

Other than the common side effect/reaction to the spinal I got prior to my planned C-section, the recovery was much faster than with the emergency C-section. That reaction I had was a horrible migraine-like headache that was only made better by lying flat on my back or taking the meds they gave me.

A planned C-section is like any major abdominal surgery with the given side effects and all that, but *I* think that recovery is faster.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Well my doctor said that people who went into labor and got betweek 3-5 cm and then had a c-section have a 30% chance of sucessuflly having a vbac, people who went into labor and got between 6-8 cm and then ha da c-section have a 50% chance of sucessfully having a vbac. And people who went into labor and got between 8-10 cm have a 10% chance of a sucess full vbac. Also she said that since my son was sunny side up that the other babys will be sunny side up. And then to top it all of, i did need help with pitocin because I was in labor for 16 hours and still at 1 cm, and I was in so much pain, and having contractions every 2 mins, but they were not strong enough. Well with my previous c-section scar i can not have any help getting strong contractions, because of the risk of my scar opening up! Im scared.
    jessicapoker

Comment by jessicapoker (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I would suggest talking with Doulala in the pregnancy group. She has a lot of v-bac info. It may be worth getting a second opinion. research your local hospitals covered by your insurance and find out which ones are v-bac friendly. they can refer you to v-bac friendly Dr.'s
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 12:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I'm going through the same thing my DD's csection wasn't an emergency but i was scared they had to take her at 37 weeks 5 days since my water had broken and leaked slowly for a week (so slow that it was nothing more then the feeling of sweat) and now that i am pregnant again my midwives told me the risk and the procedure for a VBAC and i decided to go with a repeat csection which they informed me as being safer (I got three opinions) and i was told that the second c-section can be easier then the first since it is scheduled in advanced just make sure to get mobile as soon as you can
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 12:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Wow.
    :-(

Who we hire to attend our maternity care can be our biggest Risk Factor.
    I would say this sounds true here.

If you would like to learn more then please be aware that a lot of help and info is available to you.

Your doctor is not a Normal Birth Specialist.
    She is a high-risk doctor/surgeon.
    She knows sick and problems-- not a *good fit* if you're looking to have Normal Births!

Why does she feel you needed a cesarean?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:30 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• lol!!
    Hey tomib!!
    I didn't see your reply about me there...
    thanks for the kind words!

I am a VBAC advocate, true!
    It's frustrating to me that more women are not able to make Informed Consent (not truly explained risks-benefits, options, alternatives).

A (repeat) cesarean is very risky. While a VBAC might be a little, too, it's safer. But not all women are hearing this (FROM THEIR SURGEONS)...

Anyways, yes, I would love to help!
    :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• krissii,
    PROM is a a variation of normal, I am shocked to hear you had a cesarean for this!
    Many women go for weeks leaking, dripping, gushing fluid.

Why would you need a cesarean for this?
    And why would a repeat be safer?

You are talking to hospital midwives?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• EVERY pregnancy and labor is different. Unless it's something with how your body functions, and it can't possibly be any other way, it doesn't mean it's going to happen again. Having one face-up baby does not mean the rest will be, too. For that matter, there's no reason why you can't birth a face-up baby vaginally--my mom did it twice.

Keep in mind that medical interventions tend to lead to more interventions--like the pitocin and then the C-section in your case. If they had left you to labor on your body's time frame, you might have fared better.

From what you've shared, it absolutely does not sound like you must have a repeat C-section. If that's not what you want, then do your own research. Talk to more VBAC-friendly doctors/midwives in your area. Use the internet. Ask for experiences from other moms in a similar situation (try the VBAC Moms Group). Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2011