how do you keep your baby away from the christmas tree?

mombug

Asked by mombug at 12:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• tell them no, redirect them.

if all else fails, get one of those wrap around baby gates that people use around fireplaces and open stair cases.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Well, we got a tiny tree, a fake 3 foot one, and put it on top of the entertainment center. Had it for 6 years now, it does the job.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yea ours is a 6 footer and she ramed it with her walker and it tipped over...
    mombug

Answer by mombug at 1:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Luckily my son really has ignored the tree (It took me awhile to learn to put no presents under there it only attracts them more lol), my daughter I had the wrap around gate around it.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 1:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• we have a small one this year and put it up My kids wouldnt leave it alone on the floor and they figured how to open the gate plus I dont see why I would go buy another baby gate JUST for christmas.
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Good luck with that one:) I have an 18 month old and I'll be lucky if there are any ornaments left on the tree by xmas. JK I just have to redirect his attention.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We have a 5ft tree....my daughters (2 yrs old) knocked it over and broke an ornament. They no longer touch the tree LOL! I kept telling them if they touched it, I was taking it down, and Santa wouldn't be able to bring presents cause he wouldn't have anywhere to put them! I think that pretty much did the trick for them this year LOL! I thought last year when they were 1yr old would be a problem, but they pretty much left it alone after touching it a few times. Of course, both years all the ornaments are clustered together at the top of the tree haha!
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 2:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You can't. When my niece was little, my sister only decorated her tree halfway up. My daughter is 2 and I bought non breakable ornaments. She takes one off every once in a while but she puts it back. My 8 month old is crawling around now & she can reach the bottom of the tree & has gotten an ornament off a couple of times but she doesn't really bother it that much. Just make sure they can't pull it over
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I had a friend that did daycare and she bought a miniture white picket fence and put it up around the tree, it looked cute and it kept the kids off the tree.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree with redirection and just being consistent about it. We also made sure to put anything breakable or dangerous up out of baby's reach, just solid plastic or fabric decorations on the bottom couple feet.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008