My children never...

When you read that, do you buy it, or is it more often likely that the truth is "I have no idea it happens, but my children do..."?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:21 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's more like, "I've never CAUGHT my children doing...."
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My children never cease to amaze me with the stupid things they fight over/about. My children never fail to make me smile with their hugs and cuddles, especially when we all need it the most.

Sorry it was there, I'm getting tired sillies (I'm so tired EVERYTHING is at least kinda funny).

I get what you're saying though. There's a little boy about my son's age that is a spoiled SHIT of a kid. Even at 2 years old he would not listen to the teachers, and if Mom or Grandma was told about his horrendous behavior we got: Oh [my child] would never do that! Um, HELLO??!!?! you stupid, deluded *ahem* yes he did! we're TELLING you he did. Now that child is 7.5-8 years old and WORSE than when he was a toddler.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I used to say my children never, now i know better.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• What I say is I have never seen her do that or I have never seen her act this way....there is a good chance that she has just not when I was with her. Usually this about her standing on her own or freaking out when someone touches her. (She is only 9 months.)
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• popcorn

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My children always prove me a liar themselves. Both ways. I tell someone they always do something, and they won't do it. I tell someone they never do something, and they go and do it. I've come to expect it of them. I wish more people would be open to the possibility.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:19 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Oh I know my kids are not perfect, and I admit it. I hate it when parents think that their 'sweet lil darlin angels' never..... as most of the time the kids DO and the parents are clueless, in denial or refuse to see their kid is human and can make mistakes - or has behavior that needs correcting.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• for me and my household, i think it's more like 'i pray that my children will not do....' honestly, as they get older and then prepare to leave the nest, they may put all the Christian teachings and whatnot through the years on the back burner of their lives and go 'live' how they want. i pray they won't, but i can't say for sure.
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 3:31 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Depends on what it is. I mean, I say "My kids never have medication" and I know it's true... Why someone would not believe it would baffle me . But when people hit me with something like "my son's aren't interested in girls" and their son's are 15, I call BS... So I think it depends on the subject. Parents do know certain nevers, others their kids just have them fooled.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My coworkers thought initially I bullshitted them when I say he never watches television except on rare occassions. Also that we do no sweets. And then they come over.....as one coworkers' child put it, "do you have any REAL food?" To which I joke back, "Have you ever had REAL food?" They now know I don't bullshit our life style, his abilities, or vocabulary. When they talk about kids on average (I work in medical with kids) it is always....everyone accept your kid usually does X, Y, and Z. As the head medical doctor replied after a nurse asked why I know how to parent so well, "duh, we hired her because she is an expert. That is why she works with families." So while I know when people ask me a question they may not believe me when I say my child never has done X - most learn sooner or later it is true.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2011