Should i cut my mom off??

i have 3 children and 2 of them are autistic. my 3 year old is on the lower end of the spectrum. my mother asked him last week why he was such a retard and was abusive toward him. and tonight she told me that neither of them will go to college because they are "too disabled". she tells me that autism is just an excuse. i'm so sick of her remarks toward my children. do you think it's fair for me to stop her from seeing them?

ajs16919

Asked by ajs16919 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow im sorry to hear this. Our society is baced on, more crime.and murders.people like this grandmothet is the reason y.yes you should keep them far away we as re here to protect children amd neef to do a better job at. Im sorry for u dear. Stay strong and positive for those beatiful children you created god bless you:).
    Shend

Answer by Shend at 1:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Wow. Just wow. I could never be around someone who talked that way about my children. I cringed just reading that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I would not let her see them if I were you. That is just NOT ok! It is not their fault that they are autistic and it is NOT just an excuse, that is just so sad that their own grandmother treats them like that! I might expect it from a stranger but not a family member! This makes me so sad.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• REALLY!!!?!? Damn, I'd have been hard pressed not to beat the hell out of my mother if she EVER said anything like that. Yes, yes, yes you should cut her off, and out, of your lives. Your children DO NOT need that kind of verbal abuse from ANYONE.

Come to think of it, I think that's part of the reason WHY she got fired from her Special Education Teacher position. Too many people complained that she was too strict and too physical with her students. Because of it she can no longer teach Special Ed in this state and at least two of the neighboring states.

Also come to think of it, her controlling ways with my kids, in front of me, was one of the leading factors for ME not talking to her anymore. But I'm rambling now so I'll shut up and go to bed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I can't believe a grandmother can be SO insensitive towards her own grandchildren. I always believe in keeping relationships with family, but not if they put your children down like that.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I agree with the above responses. How awful of her.
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 12:41 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I guess it just depends on how close you are to her. If you are close enough that you can talk to her about it, then you might try that first. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Sounds like your mom is mean or possibly has a mental health issue going on that needs attention. Yes i would protect the kids from this abuse.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• The fact that you didn't defend your kids and kicked her ass on the spot astounds me. My mother is very similar but the thing is, she did it once, I told her to stop. She did it again and it was over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• ANON i have told her many times. she doesn't care and thinks she is right. most of the time there are kids around so i just leave or bite my tongue cuz i don't want to argue. it gets her off to see me mad. sarah961 we are not close at all. infact the only reason we speak is for the kids. she is a very mean person but i never beleived she would harm tthen until recently. thank you everyone for your input, i needed the support <3
    ajs16919

Comment by ajs16919 (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2011