Is it normal for a 2 year old to be extremely terrified when driving down a hill?

my baby is almost 22 months. we live at the top of a really long hill. when we drive down it he throws his arms back and gasps and acts like hes falling off a building. it is the saddest thing ever. today i almost started crying because of how scared he was.

is this normal??

(i reassure him the whole time and use a calm voice and tell him good job etc when we get to the bottom)

what else can i do??

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No that is not normal. I've never heard of that. Try making it fun or something, like a roller coaster. Like saying "Weeeeee!' when you're going down the hill or something.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• No, and I'd try to make it fun and maybe bring some stuffed animals or something along and pretend they're enjoying going downhill...
    Jenn_1978

Answer by Jenn_1978 at 2:50 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Kids get scared of the strangest things. That doesn't sound like a classic fear, but then again most little kids don't have to drive down a long steep hill every day (if so, we'd probably hear of more kids getting scared of it) I agree to try to make it fun. Does he like to be swung around or go down slides? Maybe tell him you're going down a long slide? Or maybe let him hold a teddybear or something tight to comfort himself. I'm starting to believe that almost everything is a phase... I'm sure he'll get over this and someday you'll look back at this and laugh.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• He does like slides! so thats what I tell him "wheeee we're going down a slide, this is fun! we're okay. dont worry etc etc"
    he hates being swung around though and he hates the feeling of falling, like throwing him up and catching him, he's always hated that. he seems to have a lot of anxiety for an almost 2 year old. anxiety disorders run in our family so it's kind of concerning, but I want to do all that I can to help him while he's young. I wasn't able to understand and overcome my own anxiety issues until just a few years ago.. It affected my childhood and I don't want that for him! :/
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2011