Do you think the music you listen to affects the upbringing of your kid(s)?

More specifically, rap music and all of the negative material and degrading images. Is this offensive if you are trying to raise your kids with values we hold dear?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 12:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I pick and choose. I definetely will not listen to music in front of my child that has foul language, sexual references or violance. But, not all rap is created equal and there are some great songs/artists out there.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'm sure it has some influence. How much, I'm not sure. I don't listen to garbage music...just don't want my kids listening to that at a young age.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Honestly, I feel that the age of the child makes all the difference here. I went through a rap "phase" in high school (I still listen to it sometimes) and just because I heard the "garbage" doesn't mean I followed it. I didn't become a slut, nor did I start popping people off with my "nine". LOL. That's because I was old enough, and grounded enough, to know better. Really, I just liked the beat.

That said, if you have a young child listening to this kind of music, it could easily change their way of thinking. If you, as a parent, listen to it with them, they could easily take that to mean that the topic of the songs is acceptable.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• no. I think my raising of my children as an effect on their upbringing. If I teach them what is right and wrong, they won't learn it from stupid songs, they'll already know what is right or wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'm going to clarify my answer so no one takes it the wrong way. I'm not implying that all rap music is garbage. There are plenty of songs in every genre that annoy me with their lyrics and I consider them garbage. Songs talking about sex, one-night-stands, drugs, violence, adultery, etc are what I'm talking about here.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree it depends on the age, I listen to rap, r & b etc as well as a little alternative and country a little of it all lol. I know my daughter who is almost 5 doesnt understand the lyrics of most songs and if she tries to sing on its a jumbled mess of jibberish so that tells me she doesnt understand the individual words mostly but likes the rythym of it. Now if my older child understood and new it and it wasnt something I thought was child friendly in the least bit I wouldnt listen to it in their presence.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Absolutely music affects our children. If music didn't have a message, then why would the words mean anything? I'm absolutely amazed at how many parents, tho allow songs that have catchy tunes to be driven into their kids brains, like the song thats name Apple Bottom jeans. Our local elementary school actually did a little skit using the song, the lyrics and created a dance to go with it. I was appalled and wondered if anyone, even the young teacher had ever stopped to listen to the message. And i'm not an old-fogey.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• With this past election, my SD (13) was asking questions about the candidates because of Ludacris' Obama song. I have a hard time monitoring what she listens to because she primarily lives with her real mom. I hear some of her music and I'm appalled with the sex talk, crime hints, and flashy money talk. I'm all for the beat, but the words are horrific! My 3 yo likes to groove to it, but i'm going to have to ban it soon in my house when she's with us.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 1:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes definately. When you have parents listening to this crap, what do you expect? If you are raising a child, you have to set a good example for them. This not only includes music, but also movies and video games. You cannot tell a child something is wrong when you yourself do it. Parents have to wisen up and take control of what their children are doing. If you don't, no one else will and in the end you will have failed as a parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I pretty much listen to talk radio, alternative, Christmas music all month now, oh and I love classic rock. My son is more into learning how to PLAY music and not follow what it says. We don't listen to rap but if a song is popular i.e. Soldier Boy, he likes it for a few weeks and then goes back to playing and listening to his favorites.Come to think of it I hardly put music on at all lol! My son (on his own) has taken a liking to certain songs/bands that I am not offended by, i.e. coldplay, maroon5, U2 (my fav).
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008