Will racisim ever be extinct

In collage I took a communocatiom class and I was told to do a speech on why I beleive racisim will or will not ever be extinct. How do you feel? Lets please all be mature adults.

Shend

Asked by Shend at 2:20 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I highly doubt it hun. Unfortunately I think some people will always think they are better. Its much more than racism though.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yeah I agree
    Shend

Comment by Shend (original poster) at 2:25 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I think there are too many social reinforcement and conditioning for it to ever be extint, However, the only thing that would ever work to reduce racism, is for the rights of all people - regardless of race - to be equally pheld and protected. Precieved special favors given to one group vs. another, helps fuel racism.
    Jenn_1978

Answer by Jenn_1978 at 2:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Racism will always exist at some level. Its natural for people to gravitate to others in their own race. I do think that a lot of the racism we know today will die out when everyone who is living has experienced basic equality. There are many older people who have experienced crimes against them in their early life and I am sure they relive their pain on a daily basis. I would in their shoes! I am a person of mixed races (Italian, Filipino, Chinese) and from what I have experienced in my life, it gives me a lot of hope for the future. There are superiority complexes in all races, but I think it does tend to fade with people of a certain age.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• because people will always find something they don't like about someone and or a group of people and make it a big issue. People carry hatred in their hearts and I don't think it will ever go away just like I don't think there will ever be world peace
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• As much as I would love to see everyone FINALLY let go of racist slurs and hatred for any color - I have to say I don't see it as being possible. See, there's always going to be that one person in the crowd who has this fear of someone who doesn't look the same as they do. That fear is passed on to their kids, who end up having racist lil ones of their own... it's almost genetic. Well, no I hate saying that. I came from a racist family, yet as the family tree grew larger the outer branches became more loving and tolerant.... It also has a LOT to do with the workplace of a certain person. I know, sounds stupid, right? But, seriously. Take my Dad for instance. He worked in law enforcement for many many many years. He picked up hatred for just about everybody there - and his favorite word began with "N" and he enjoyed making jokes about black people often. In fact, I'm about out of room, i'll finish this in a sec.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 7:45 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Anyways, my parents had a black family move in next door to them. Dad always joked about how he had to "hurry and get the KFC in the house" or he'd say "shhh.... don't tell the "N"-lets that I have watermelon planted in the backyard!", he was known for these jokes. Now, outta 3 kids I have one brother who absolutely HATES black people, another brother who likes to make Dad proud with the racist jokes (he does for all races too), and then there's me. My parents worried I'd marry a black man because I had friends of all colors, and didn't care what someone's color was but how they acted. I cried the day I did mine and my baby cousins hair in tiny braids only to be called "N"-lets. I still yell at someone for saying that disgusting word - I don't care who it is, even if I don't know them. Funny thing is, my Dad recently quit his job. You know, I haven't heard the "N" word outta his mouth in a LONG time, now. Interesting.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It could I think. It's already highly frowned upon and even the racist are having to accept some simple facts. I'm more concerned about homophobia and ageism really.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I wanted to point out one comment that has stuck with me my whole life. My Dad asked me one day "If a black baby and a white baby were drowning at the same time on opposite ends of the pool, who would you save?" So, I told him the only possible solution. "I'd die trying to save both." He called me a liar, and continued to say I'd go to my "own kind". my OWN KIND. He was right. I would go to my OWN KIND. Assuming both children are human, I'd die saving both. It still bugs me thinking that there are actually people out there that would let a child die just because it wasn't the same color as them. Breaks my heart and makes me want to throw up. Sorry for taking up so much space, but your question made me think, and I'm glad I read it.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 7:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Well, it's not a living thing, so it can't become extinct. Having said that, I will say that as long as there are people of different races, living in close proximity, there will be racism
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2011