Would you give your children condoms or b.c. pills?

what's your thoughts on pregnancy prevention for kids...are you for or against it? i (for one) am against giving kids condoms and b.c. pills and other ways to 'make chocolate' [sorry, couldn't resist...that's what my cousin uses to refer to sex when the kiddies are around...hahaha]. i would rather teach my kids about the benefits of waiting until marriage, teaching them to focus their energies on living a life for Christ and THEN when God feels they are ready, He will put a good man/woman in their life.

but what do you think...what would/will/have you done regarding this issue?

HappyHmsklNapps

Asked by HappyHmsklNapps at 2:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't personally give it to them. It's almost like encouraging them do those activities and though yes, it's better that the be safe rather than sorry, abstinence should be the emphasis, then protection. Make sure they see the consequences of hasty decisions. It may even help to get them to volunteer at a single mom's shelter and have them talk to some teenage moms who've learned their lesson. Tell them to imagine what they wouldn't be able to do anymore if they suddenly got STDs or had kids. Also, teach them that it pays to delay gratification in other ways. Let them experience similar responsibility of raising kids by letting them have responsibility for a pet and then make the connection to abstinence whenever they complain.I feel like the introduction of the sex talk so early nowadays is what gets them curious in the first place but at the same time, they'll do what they want no matter what.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I think you've got to do it all. It's not enough just hoping they'll do the right thing. Peer pressure at that age is huge and so many good girls get pregnant because they aren't prepared.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 3:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I THINK IT A VERY GOOD IDEA TO TEACH THEM ABOUT WAITING AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF, I JUST WISH THEY WOULD LISTEN, THESE DAYS NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU TELL THEM DONT MEAN THEY WILL LISTEN, WHEN MY KIDS ARE ABOUT 13 SINCE THAT IS ABOUT THE TIME KIDS ARE HAVING SEX THESE DAYS IS WHEN I WILL FOR SURE BE PUTTING MY DAUGHTER ON BIRTH CONTOL AND GIVING MY SON AND DAUGHTER CONDOMS, I DONT WANT ONE OF THEM TO END UP GETTING PREGNANT OR SOMEONE ELSE PREGNANT BECAUSE THEY CHOOSE NOT TO LISTEN TO ME. I KNOW WHEN I WAS 12 AND 13 IT WAS THE COOL THING TO DO, THESE DAYS ITS WORSE. BUT THAT IS ALL MY OPINION
    mandiirae

Answer by mandiirae at 3:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• For me, I would want to educate them on why to wait and the risks of why. But, I would also ask them to come to me if they were planning on having sex so we could take the proper precautions. I feel like refusing these things to your kids will make them just want to go and do it that much more. Kids are naturally rebellious (whether they thing they are or not) and will do things just to spite you. I just want my child to be completely honest with me and want them to come to me with anything.
    1LuckyMama33

Answer by 1LuckyMama33 at 3:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I will absolutely provide my children with birth control as well as education. I feel it's important to educate them about sex myself to make sure they aren't getting misinformation elsewhere and to encourage communication.
    Queenie_Mab

Answer by Queenie_Mab at 3:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Education and birth control..If kids want to have sex they are going to..i feel that it is best to educate them about sex, the benefits of wating and safe sex if they dont wait. I d rather have them prepared if they decide to have it. I mean the first time i had consentual sex i was 14 so im not one to talk (i cant say lost my virginity because that was taken from my at a very young age..i had no choice in the matter). I try and be as honest to my kids as posible..let them know the pro's and con's and let them choose for themselves.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 3:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2011