Is there a doctor in the house?

okay, so here's the thing...i'm passionate about health/safety/the human body. i also am interested in the law, but not on the same level (in terms of passion) when it comes to medicine and the practice thereof.

well, i am interested in how would i (if you have advice or are currently seeking the same) go about pursuing a medical career?

my goals are these:
*to become a mobile medical unit
*to return to the days of house calls
*to provide one on one medical care for those who are sick/shut it/or have a phobia of leaving the house and being in public...and also for those who are deathly afraid of coming to a dr.'s office
*also, i wish to employ/take uner my wings a massage therapist because i strongly believe in massage therapy as a important part of medicine
*to pursue studies the field of neurology/neuroscienc

i am a massage therapist, i just don't practice out of a conflict of personal convictions. but i never wanted to work in spas and such when i initially entered into the MT program that i attended.

i am willing to write a letter or several letters expressing my interest in medicine, my medical background and my hopes for the future as a doctor. but if it were 'you', what would you do? at this time i am a stay at home wife/mom. i homeschool and we depend on hubby for income and financial support.

just curious to see what you ladies come up with.

HappyHmsklNapps

Asked by HappyHmsklNapps at 3:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Health

• well alot of it also depends on your age and the fianancal part. By the age I mean since u express a desire to get into neurology/neuroscience and other such things, u will be looking at a minimum of 8 yrs for the basics. It wil take alot dedication, a whole lot of money, unending support from your dh and your child. Theres alot of things that go into becoming a doctor even if its just general practice, u want a speciality and the field u r intrested in holds the best of the best in thier fields, a very exclusive group of people. My god mother's dad is a brain surgeon he had alot of yrs before he got into the field, then countless hrs, and days of observing and doing the internship ect. Have considered physical therapy?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:25 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• You would need to get you bachelors degree with a focus in pre-med. Then you would need to take the MCAT and apply to med. school. You would have 4 years of med. school and then you would would start your residency program. The residency program is 3 years.

You need to have the grades to get into med school and it really is a time commitment. It won't happen quickly! GL!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2011