Damn dog!

We got a dog a few weeks ago, she was apparently house broken... But it doesn't seem that way. I found her pooping under my daughters crib for god knows how long. My DD doesn't sleep in there she sleeps with us basically use the room for storage until shes ready for it. It took me 3 hours to clean that room, I had to Lysol and deep clean the carpets. So I gated her in the kitchen then that night and she jumped it and pooped on the living room floor. She is let out all the time but has to be tied because she will run off. She just stands at the door crying instead of going to the bathroom, I don't get it she takes off if shes not leashed but when she doesn't want outside??? She use to sleep in out room but she will poop on the floor while we are sleeping so I put her in the bathroom with a blanket. She cried and barked all night long driving me crazy but I can't have her ruining my carpets, and pooping where my kids play. I'm starting to think this is why they wanted rid of her and not because they were "moving". I'm ready to throw in the towel and take her to the pound. Shes a nice dog but this is getting gross and annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Pets

• Yes its not easy training but consistency is the key, i buy the puppy pads and get her scent on them, keep them in one certain place. My dog is 8 mth. now and she uses them. Good Luck!
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 4:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Kennel training is the secret. We use to think it was mean. But the dogs think of it as their room and their space and security. Bet a kennel and a blanket. When you are not with her or watching her she should be in there. It needs to be big enough for the dog to stand and move around but not too big. They usually will not go to the bathroom in the kennel because it is their space to sleep and live in. Put outside often and it would be good if you went out with them. Walk him/her and if he smells where another dog went he is likely to go there.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• She just needs to be trained. She is probably scared,new place. Be consistent and she will catch on.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• She is scared. Poor pooch. It takes time. Hang in there. The place will take some getting used to. Dogs should really have a lifetime home, they are more loyal than human beings. It was hard and hurtful for her to uproot. You all just need time and love. find out what she is afraid of.
    Avitar

Answer by Avitar at 6:29 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I would give kennel training a shot.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Also make sure she doesn't have internal parasites. If she came from a shelter it is possible for her to have something that may not give her the ability to wait. Something that might help is when she does go inside, put the poop out where you want her to go, kind of a poop here sign for her. Best of luck
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 8:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• some dogs dont like to potty when on a tie out, maybe you should try walking the dog, consistently around the same times. The excercise makes them go. Feed the dog at the same time too, you will end up in a rythm, my dog poops around the same time every day.
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Shes not a shelter dog we got her off craigslist, and I think we will try the crate thing at night and while were not home. My SO didn't put her in the bathroom last night and we didn't have any accidents. So I'm hoping with a some work she will get the whole need to poop outside thing. I've been keeping all the doors shut she she can't go in the rooms were not in. And she peed on a news paper once so I thought she might have been paper trained so I have a bunch of paper by the back door but she used my carpets instead.. Thanks for all the help and info!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Spray the spots she poops and pees on with vinegar. When she poops where she isn't supposed to let her see it and say no, bad dog firmly. Take her to where she is allowed to go and when she does praise her and give her a treat. Make it a bog deal when she does good.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I put my dog on a leash in the house, so she was always right beside me and i would be able to catch her squating and scoop her up and put her outside. You may need to walk outside with her and repeat "Go potty.." I have to with both my dogs or they wont go, silly dogs. Good luck!
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 3:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2011