Why tell someone to "drive safely"?

Do you say that to people when they leave? "Drive safely!" as if to imply that without this advice that they may, instead, drive like a maniac? Without them to remind me to have good driving habits, I may in fact put lives in danger because certainly I must be a terrible driver or why else would somebody have to tell me to "drive safely"? So if you do indeed say this to people, why do you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Cause I drive like a Cullen. :) So I gotta remind them to slow it down.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It's just a reminder about the ice or whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think you are reading too much into the benign statement of be safe/drive safely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• LMAO much12502!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i say it all the time, i do it cause i care and want to make sure that person knows i care...to me its a term of endearment i know these ppl are good drivers and are careful but say it anyways...now that im thinking about i guess its kinda messed up lol. but i will continue to tell my loved ones to be careful cause i love them and want to make sure they know it
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 12:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Well, you can take it that they think you are an idiot.
    OR
    You can take it in the spirit in which it is intended - they care about you and hope you get home safely.

Think of it this way... have you ever wished someone luck on a test? Why? Were they too stupid to get a good grade without luck? Or were you just expressing your hopes that they do well?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• ...like a Cullen. LOL. I gotta use that one. People do need to be reminded to drive safely. We do all kinds of dumb stuff when we drive...eat, put on makeup, talk on the phone, music way too loud, drive too fast in bad weather, etc. And the person saying it just wants you to keep it in mind that someone else is worrying about you.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• "Cause I drive like a Cullen."

I think I love you.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I say it to convey to the person to take "extra caution" while driving. I tell my husband this everytime it snows or gets icy. Some people drive to work in a trance...it's something they do over and over again and it becomes a habit. It's just my way of telling people to be a little more alert.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• The Cullen thing...OMG! I'm almost done with the last book and I love the Cullens, uuuuuugh!

Sorry--couldn't resist sharing my love :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2008