temper tantrums.. help please

my son will be one next week and he throws terriable temper tantrums. some times i will tell him no when he gets into something he should not be in. but he will throw him self on the ground and kick and scream. and some times he will only continue this little tantrums only if he sees me. he is almost 1 is this normal? how can i help him not be so angry?

Flynnsmoma

Asked by Flynnsmoma at 1:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter started throwing tantrums around the same age... she's 18 months now and it's getting better. First and foremost, try to baby proof your home enough so you limit saying no. I used to feel like I was saying no,no,no ALL the time, but once I baby-proofed I hardly say it anymore. Also, once he starts a tantrum try to distract him with something like saying "oh wow!" and point at something to catch his attention.
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 2:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• (Sorry ran out of room)If all else fails you can try this: I set up a playpen and whenever she started throwing herself around and nothing else worked I tell her firmly "Stop or you're going in time-out". If she continues, then I put her in and let her finish the tantrum in there. She will stand up and cry but she will stop crying when she's ready to come out. I bend down to her level and tell her firmly that I don't like for her to behave like that. When I take her out she is perfectly fine! I hope that helps... my daughter still throws her fits but I just point at the playpen and sometimes she'll actually stop! Good luck!
    msp12r

• I would ignor it, when he sees that he is not getting attention from it maybe you will start to see less of them. My son just turned one, when he gets in trouble he use to complain ALOT, but when he saw that I wasn't paying attention he would be done with it with in a minute or two! Good luck!!!
    ..JessIca..

Answer by ..JessIca.. at 3:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I remember my son screaming at the top of his lungs in the middle of the grocery store. I say the less attention for inappropriate behavior the faster they stop. Little ones are passionate and expressive and young. Bribing is a bad idea that will haunte you forever if you start that now! Set your limits, put them where they can be safe to cry out their frustrations without an audience and they'll calm down and return - they don't want to be set apart - when they are they'll straighten up and join the fun again when they don't get attention for their show of theatrics.
    KatKallingMom

Answer by KatKallingMom at 5:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Yes it is normal. The best thing I found to work was just ignore them. When my daughter would start I would make sure she wasn't in an area that she would hurt herself and then I would just go to another room until she stopped. Eventually once she realized she wasnt getting any attention from it she quit. Hope this helps!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Normal... My dr told me to ignore it and walk away. It works..
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 2:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Your LO is probably looking for attention. Whether it is negative or positive your LO wants your attention. Your LO also wants you to give in and give them what they want. Most kids know that if they throw a big enough fit eventually Mommy will give in. The best thing for you to do is put your LO on some kind of punishment, even if it is sitting down. Then wait until they are not crying and try to reapproach them. I agree with the PP about getting down on their level...this way they're not crying because of fear. I wouldn't yell either...that always makes kids cry harder.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 3:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• As soon as he does it pick him up and put him in a playpen. Tell him he can come out when he stops crying. Besides that ignore him. Walk out of the room. When he's done, love on him!
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 3:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• It is normal & he isn't angry he wants to get his way. He is doing it for attention so don't reward him for it with attention. Speak to him camly, tell him nobody wants to hear that kind of noise. Separating him from the "action" is an important component. Put him somewhere that he can be safe but not see you or if you aren't at home take him somewhere private where he will feel he is missing out. All he needs to do is tell you when he is ready to be calm. Remember that you are trying to teach him self-control so he can communicate effectively, not punish him for expressing his displeasure. If you can get in a word when he is about to throw a fit, calmly say to him something to the effect of "I know you are unhappy that you can't (whatever he wants)but it (isn't safe, is rude, will make a mess, etc.)" That will help to teach him that there are acceptable ways to express that he isn't pleased.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• He's so young, so instead of telling him no, try refocusing him on something new. If he has your purse, pick him up, take it away and immediately bring him to a new place or thing to check out. Redirection I think it's called. Then put the purse up where it can't tempt him.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2008