I'm just curious

See, my Dad knows a LOT about different religions, and loves learning new ones - so I kinda picked it up from him. My faith is set deep, and it won't change, and I'm not looking for a new religion or anything... But, I am very curious and wanted to know some things. If you could, would you tell me what your religion is and what exactly it involves/is about. I'm just here tryin to learn something, not in the mood to bash anyone or tell them they are "wrong" or anything. I just seriously want to know. I've seen a lot of different comments on other posts referring to their religion, and i must say there are a few I haven't heard of. I actually had to have some explain Preterism (sp?) to me, and when I told my Dad he was even shocked that there was a religion he'd never heard of! So, if you could, just leave a comment stating the name of your religion and possibly a brief explanation (if not, i'll just look it up, it's all good.)

Again - not bashing or trying to start any fights here, just very curious. :)

shaysmommy5810

Asked by shaysmommy5810 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My religion is Christian. I believe in God! (If someone wants to bash me for that you can go right ahead). I'm going to go ahead and assume you know about the Christian religion since it's the one of the biggest religions. My denomination is Pentecostal. It's a branch off of the Baptist denomination. Pentecostals normally tend to be a little more charismatic. I belong to an Assembly of God church and ours is NOT one of the more charismatic ones. Our church tends to be more calm than some I've been to.
    Boxxy

Answer by Boxxy at 8:23 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Denomination same as Political Affiliation is something not to be disclosed. At least that's what my family believes in. :)
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I consider myself a Naturalistic Pantheist as far as my view of ideas like God and the Universe (sometimes you will see this referred to as Scientific Pantheism. There are also other types of Pantheism as well). It basically means that I believe the Universe/Forces of Nature are divine, but I do not literally believe in any personal, anthropomorphic, supernatural creator god or gods. I usually say 'Universe', but if I do say God it is intended as a metaphor or expression of feeling about Universe and our interconnectedness with everything in Nature. Philosophically, I practice Buddhism and more recently Taoism, so I'm very drawn to Chan Buddhism/Zen Buddhism. I enjoy studying other religions and philosophies as well, and grew up Presbyterian, so I'm sure all of that influences my views as well. I'm nearly out of space, so I can attach a couple links below if you're interested in knowing more about the basics of each.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Of course, there are other links out there as well as all kinds of books about each of these, but I think these are all short, simple introductions to give some basic information about each path.

World Pantheist Movement: Basic Principles of Scientific Pantheism

A Five Minute Introduction to Buddhism

Introduction to Taoism
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I consider myself a spiritual atheist. it's difficult to sum up in this small area so I'll do my best, and you can PM me if you want to hear more:
    I don't believe in a higher power (as in a god, etc).. however I believe somewhat in an after life. not in the sense of a heaven or hell, I guess it would be more of a form of reincarnation. Our bodies all have natural energies.. in fact most things do. But for example: our brain is made up of a complex nervous system. It feeds and functions by energy. now a natural energy really can't be created or destroyed, however it can dissipate. I theorize that it's possible at times for that energy to retain a form of memory, and at times rather than dissipating completely, it can retain shape and form or stay together. At othertimes it can dissipate and reform with other energies surrounding it. So in a way, it's acting as a form of reincarnation.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:37 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• now again, like I said, I don't believe in a God or higher power.. I don't believe there is a center that controls these energies per-say. I guess you can say it's a little like a hodge podge of Buddhism, Atheism, and a touch of trying to comprehend how you can not believe in a higher power, but yet live in a house that is haunted, lol. So based some some of the scientific research done surrounding the paranormal, and some of my beliefs, I became a spiritual athiest. I still dont believe in a God, but now have my own beliefs on how such other events could occur.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I am studying Shamanism and going back to my American Indian Roots :) I believe in the spirit and there is both good and bad in this world. I believe in taking responsibility for your own actions and that the idea of a higher being than us is irrelevant. I believe in recognizing the skies and the earth and keeping them safe because without them we would be nothing at all. We wouldn't exist without the sun and the air we breathe.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I'm a Christian Universalist. Basically I have a Christian foundation, believe all paths are equally valid, reject any sort of hell.... My beliefs have a lot to do with the idea of humanity, the innate goodness and potential in each of us. I believe God is love and that we are called to cultivate love and goodness.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I'm an Orthodox Jew. The most fundamental principle is the belief in one G-d, indivisible, omnipotent, omniscient and incorporeal. He's not only the Creator, but also maintains His creation and is involved in every aspect of it- including our lives. In practice, my religion focuses on the Torah and the commandments that must be followed. We live our lives following the laws of the Torah.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I'm a Spiritual Pagan Witch. I don't have a set religion. My beliefs fall under the Pagan umbrella because I have a blend of beliefs from several different religions.

Some of my beliefs include but are not limited to:
    -believe in one ultimate creator of everything including the gods/goddesses
    -believe in magick
    -believe in both good and evil, light and dark ... in other words, balance
    -believe that we all must seek out our own paths and make our own peace
    -believe in a form of Karma
    -believe in doing the best we can and taking care of each other

It's really hard to sum up my beliefs in a few words but that is an outline of some of the basic tenets of my beliefs.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:41 AM on Jul. 4, 2011