DIAPER RAAAAASH! help!

my son is 15 months old, he has his first diaper rash! it is around his legs where the diaper sits, and also all around his testies. I have been putting loads of a&d on it but it doesn't seem to be budging!!! and it itches him also so all day he walks around trying to get to it to itch it, which aggrivates it even more

IS there something i can do to stop the itch??? and is there anything else better i can put on it?!?!

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 7:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know that people will argue this...but I'm going to tell you anyways because it worked for me. First of all, let him go without the diaper as much as possible. Get some fresh air down there! I also swear by vaseline. I tried diaper rash creams, and they just didn't seem to work as well as plain ol' regular vaseline. I know that vaseline doesn't have the "medicine" in it that diaper rash creams do, but I swear it worked. My son had sensitive skin, and air and vaseline was the only thing that worked.

So diaper off as much as possible, and when diaper is on....load the vaseline.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 9:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Forgot....also make sure he is drinking a good amount of water. His urine will be diluted and it won't burn or irritate the skin quite so bad when he pee's.

Good luck!
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 9:17 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• mommydinosaur is right.. try to keep the area as clean and as dry as possible and apply vaseline.. while it doens't contain any medicine, it WILL keep the moisture away from the rash so it can heal properly.. (most diaper rash creams don't, hence why they don't work most of the time).

If you'd like you can mix some corn starch with the vaseline, the cornstarch will help aid in the healing..
    The ONLY product I've ever found that worked, besides doing this is a protective ointment by smith and nephew (in the pink bottle), and it's because it was mostly a vaseline based product.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• frequent changes of the diaper are necessary too.. try to clean with a wet cloth rather than wipes and make sure the area is dry before applying anything, once the stuff is on, you can put a new diaper on. it should start healing by the end of the day, if you don't see a change in 3 days, call the doctor and get a script...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My son used to get diaper rash after drinking things like orange juice - make sure you reduce the acidity in anything he/she drinks! Also, there is a great ointment recommended by dermatologists known as "Auquafor" - works wonders!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Don't use A&D, Use Desitin, it works miracles & is instant relief for them.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I have been dealing with the same thing for my twin boys, first, if it has lasted for more than a couple days it is a good idea to take him into the dr because (like my boys) there may be something going on more than just a rash, i.e. yeast infection too. So they may provide a Rx to help too.. Other than that I have found that the best thing to help reduce inflammation and itching is the chlorine in the pool... Take that boy swimming!! The chlorine will help clear up the rash, let him play and tire him out for a great nap... everybody wins!!!

Also, after the pool, put some Vaseline (Aquaphor is the same thing) around the entire diaper area to protect the skin and help it heal too. two days in the pool should clear that rash right up!!!
    MommySmith08

Answer by MommySmith08 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My DS had a baad rash on his little junk and I was told to use bagbalm and put cornstarch in his diaper. He was cleared up in hours. I also agree wtih using Desitin. The rapid relief- blue tube is best.
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 11:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2011