DIAPER RAAAAASH! help!

my son is 15 months old, he has his first diaper rash! it is around his legs where the diaper sits, and also all around his testies. I have been putting loads of a&d on it but it doesn't seem to be budging!!! and it itches him also so all day he walks around trying to get to it to itch it, which aggrivates it even more

IS there something i can do to stop the itch??? and is there anything else better i can put on it?!?!

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 7:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it were me, I'd give my child an oatmeal bath (like when they have chickenpox) then pile on the cream. Butt Paste worked wonders for us.
    elliesmum06

Answer by elliesmum06 at 7:55 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Try putting corn starch on top of the A&D. Also try letting him walk around in the yard or some place easy to mop up without a diaper. You can also get some cloth diapers and use those until it starts to clear, but without plastic pants over them. Whatever you do, do not try all kinds of creams or powders with fragrances on the area. It will only aggravate the rash more. When my first-born was about 4 months old, (he's 30 now), he had a terrible rash that spread throughout his entire body. We had to take him to a dermatologist who suggested these remedies and told me that I had tried to "cure" it too fast and with too many things. That triggered something in his system that caused the rash to spread rather than go away. I didn't have a problem after that, and had 3 more kids who stayed "rash-free."
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• my mother said hydro cortozone cream on the rash??? is he allowed to have that at this age?!
    dmdemes

Comment by dmdemes (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Could be a yeast infection. Try Lotramin. When also else fails, I mix up a paste that the pharmacist recommended. Equal parts Lotramin, Desatin, and Cortizone. That magic cream would clear dd's most horrible diaper rashes in 2 days. (she was on a lot of antibiotics for ear infections that would make her poor butt break out quite often.)
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I was told cortizone is okay, when used sparingly. (because it's essentially a steroid cream) The cream I told you to mix up isn't an every day, all the time, use it to prevent diaper rash cream. The pharmacist told me that because it has cortizone in it, to only use it 2-3 times a day until the rash is gone. When all else fails, call your Pediatrician!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It could be a yeast infection, those kind of rashes can be hard to get rid of. When my kid had it the pedi told us to put monistat on the rash. (same thing you use for a vaginal yeast infection) It was completely gone in a week.

You also need to get as much air too it as possible. Let him walk around without a diaper as much as possible, if you have a water proof mattress on his bed, put a towel under him and let him take naps without a diaper.
    anninflorida

Answer by anninflorida at 8:25 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• try to keep the area as clean and as dry as possible and apply vaseline.. while it doens't contain any medicine, it WILL keep the moisture away from the rash so it can heal properly.. (most diaper rash creams don't, hence why they don't work most of the time).

If you'd like you can mix some corn starch with the vaseline, the cornstarch will help aid in the healing..
    The ONLY product I've ever found that worked, besides doing this is a protective ointment by smith and nephew (in the pink bottle), and it's because it was mostly a vaseline based product.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• frequent changes of the diaper are necessary too.. try to clean with a wet cloth rather than wipes and make sure the area is dry before applying anything, once the stuff is on, you can put a new diaper on. it should start healing by the end of the day, if you don't see a change in 3 days, call the doctor and get a script...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yes-- OK diapers off most of the day -- wash his bottom with teppid running water and a mild soap (like J&J baby shampoo is fine) every 6 hours...... leaving to air dry when a diaper is absolutely needed apply zeasorb powder (NOT REGULAR POWDER) to rash then put on the diaper but remember to take it off MOST of the time

NO WIPES matter of fact toss all you wipes and clean baby bottom with running water ALL the time

the problem with corn startch is it is edible and if the rash is fungal (most are) the fungas will eat and thrive on the corn startch
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I put hydro cortozone on him all the time, but not too close to his thingee. You should use triple paste it works 10 times better than a&d. If you can let him hang out without a diaper for 10 or 15 min
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2011