Rust colored water?

Of ALL THE DAYS, I bust my ASS for 14 hours cleaning the house because we had a huge 4th of July party yesterday and sometime during the party our water mysteriously turns "rusty" in the toilet. I JUST CLEANED them and by the end of the party it's left a rusty film on the inside of the toilet. We have well water, and this is the first time I've dealt with it. It's NEVER been this color before. The only issue we've had with it is that it is EXTREMELY hard water to the point that when boiled, it leaves flakes of dried minerals on the pot, so we got a water softener and it's fine now. Well, WAS fine.
What's going on?? I'm DYING for some coffee but I'm afraid to drink it!!

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• you have metal pipes, so Either a pipe is broken or your well is dry. Either was is gonna cost some $$$.com
    As for getting your toilet clean use CLR or maratic acid.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• This happens in my MIL's water too. If you let the water run, it should run clear after a second. It's just mud, basically. Hers does it more in one sink than any of the others, and she has had her water tested and her well checked. It's just a normal thing that happens. Hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:37 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Do you have a sediment filter on your water line coming into the house? It could be that the filter needs to be changed. Ours came apart one time and we had rusty water show up as a result. As soon as we put in a new filter it cleared up.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 8:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Get a filter that filters the water as it comes into the house. Call a Plumbing Company for info.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• You may want to have a well drilled deeper down because it sounds like you are drying up.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 4:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Your well might be drying up, your sediment filter could be broken, you could have a rusty pipe, all sorts of explanations.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Id get a filter for the water!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I know nothing about well water, but my mother's did that once, and she had to have major work done.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I can't pinpoint what your problem is but you definitely have something going on that will require a professional. It could be something simple or something big.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 11:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Wow, not sure. Good lcuk.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 1:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011