sorry, let me try again. "drowsy but awake"

i asked this earlier but from the answers i got, clearly some people misunderstood what i was asking. :)

i already know the signs that my son is sleepy and ready for bed. he gets fussy, or slows down and stares a lot, and rubs his eyes. when he starts doing those things, i start his bedtime routine (dinner, bath, soft music, then nursing, etc).

my question isn't how to tell when he's sleepy, but how to recognize when he's drowsy but not yet actually asleep when i'm nursing him. he gets so relaxed when nursing, it's hard for me to pinpoint the right time to stop. for moms who nurse their babies down, but not all the way, so that their babies "cross the finish line" on their own...how do you do it? when do you take the nipple out, and do you lay them right down in their crib?

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 1:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if you want to put him down before he falls asleep nurse him before he is ready to sleep. With my son I breastfeed then he gets a bath and then to bed... if I happen to feed him again after his bath, which I do sometimes, he falls asleep eating everytime.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• test it by slowly pulling out if his head goes with it then hes not ready
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I guess my other answer wasn't the right one. ;-) I always nurse my son till he "falls" off the breast. So I just let him keep going till he releases himself. Sometimes he's already asleep sometimes he is still slightly awake. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• When their eyelids get heavy then they are drowsy. Put him down before his eyes are shut fully.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2008