Why are some people so uptight about religious beliefs?

Just wondering.....I just know of people that would just spit (not literally) on others if they didn't believe in what they did. I know a Christian (Methodist) who talks so mean about Jojoba's (sorry, don't know how to spell it) witness and Mormons and such. I just don't think it's right. This world is so full of different religions, who's who to say thier's is right or the "best"? I, by the way, am not religious at all, but I just see this stuff go on so much. I am very open minded. I actually think religion is very interesting. Instead of hating, I am intrigued by other's beliefs. It just seems so pointless to have such hatred toward others for not having the same beliefs. What do you all think?

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• People generally aren't uptight about anything, until someone asks a question that they might feel they have to defend. Isn't that why you post this crap, to stir up trouble. Why are you asking?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• its spelled "Jehovah's Witnesses"
    i used to be one, now i'm just christian
    and i don't know why the intollerance, i think thats just stupid
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• goodlol that was too cute! jojoba. I've never heard that one. Some people will only see it their own way and that is that. Just be glad your not one of them, right?

TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'm the same way you are and wondered the same thing.
    To the anon. you usually don't have to ask any kind of question there are a lot of people that are really uptight and judgemental.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Because people get tunnel vision and can't see anyone else's point of view.
    I love the diversity in the world - different colors, different religions, different cultures. It makes us unique and interesting!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 3:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think it's a very valid question and I feel the same way you do. If others could only see the similarities.... Oh, the possibilities!!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Even if I did think that my way was best, its still not right to down other people. Thats no way to be an influencer in their life. We don't have to believe the same things and though I do believe that my way is the Truth, I accept people for who they are. If you spend enough time with them, you can find some common ground. Seriously, christians are the worst about this. It the misunderstood concept of be in the world but not of the world. I totally agree with that, but I think while doing that, we are pushing out the very thing that God wants us to do. A persons religious beliefs are not usually the first question I ask them when becoming acquainted with them.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I go to a Methodist church, but if you as I just say I am a Christian. I dont talk down to or about any other religions or denominations. I try to show them my beliefs, I listen to theirs, and I pray for them. No person can change someone else's heart, only Jesus Christ our Lord and savior can. There is no reason to get uptight, but it does break ones heart to see someone else who does not know Jesus. We just have to remember it is our job to show them the way and God's to direct their steps.
    kscwrcsmom

Answer by kscwrcsmom at 10:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• the reason is b/c many Christian churches teach that they are the only right church & if you aren't worshipping their way you will burn in Hell. i know this b/c ive been to several, all of different denominations. for some churches this is their favorite sermon to give... its a great way to bring in others (sarcasm).

also, ppl get defense when they are forced to think or ask questions about their beliefs. especially if its they belong to the kind of church that teaches you that asking questions means you aren't a true believer. so instead of learning something & thinking for themselves they lash out with "you're a sinner & you'll burn forever".

there are also many Christians who dont read their Bible & study their own religion...they just repeat what they've heard & are lemmings. BUT not all Christians are like this, i know im not.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Many are taught from the cradle that theirs is right and others are paths of Satan.
    For whatever reason they have(be it to save you from sins and satan or cuz they think you may not know) they get uppity and firmly believe they are right and you are not.

Its old and its ugly but no one can deter them from believing theirs is the right way and all others are satan led. Its sad that the open mindedness and lack of understanding is there.

Wish there was a way to ease that but its up to the individuals and cant be forced.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008