I read on babycenter.com that i should be taking extra Vitamins????

I have taken a prenatal vitamin from the time I found out I was pregnant but now I read that my babys brain is Developing and I should be taking more vitamin C and folic acid. So I have been, do you think I should have asked my doctor before doing this? I also am taking Expecta a DHA supplement. I feel good and I thought it might make me sick at first but it didnt!! Should I stop and ask the doc before taking them all again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• generally, what is in the prenatals is more than enough, unless your doctor notices a dificiency, then they would recommend you take more.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• yeah prenatals is usually enough, there is such thing as Overdosing on vitamins as well. i would have told my doctor about it before i took them.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yeah I would ask the dr. first. Usually the pre-natals have all you need. just eat healthy too. When I got my vitamins they gave me that expecta stuff too so I'm sure that would be ok.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Don't take more folic acid, it's in your prenatals and it is possible to take too much folic acid. Vitamin C is impossible to overdose on as your body will just process it and you will pee it out, however, unless you are sick or Vitamin C deficient, you probably don't need a higher dose. It's really best to get your nutrients from food, so if you want more Vitamin C, try to get it in your diet, a glass of OJ, strawberries, artichokes, kiwi fruit, etc all have way more Vitamin C than taking a capsule.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Just like these guys said, your prenatal and DHA supplements are just fine. There is more risk in taking too much of any vitamin, and it's not worth risking your baby's health. Double check with your doc if you're still not sure, but you don't want to overdo anything. Make sure your diet is well balanced, as your body absorbs nutrients better from foods than from pills.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2008