Why do I have sharp shooting pains in my lower stomach?

I have these sharp shooting pains right above my pelvic bone...I have been to the doctor, I am 0% efaced, and have not dialated AT ALL and he just chalks it up to ligament stretching....I'm not buying it. It's so painful sometimes that it stops me in my tracks and takes my breath away....HELP I am miserable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cortney101786

Asked by Cortney101786 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i was told if this is the same pain it was the baby moving around in the pelvic floor. is it sharp and kind of shocky like??
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 9:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• How far along are you?? I remember something similar happening in my third trimester with my first pregnancy. They did an ultrasound, found nothing wrong, and said it was gas. It could be round ligament pain as well. It could also be braxton hicks. Just take it easy, sit down and rest a bit when they hit, drink plenty of water (I've found that the problems don't bother me as much if I'm well hydrated), and tylenol for the pain. That's what I have to do to deal with the round ligament pain with this pregnancy. Which I swear is worse than it was with my first.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:28 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Unfortunately its normal hun. :) put your feet up as much as you can and lay on your left side :)
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• *4g4b: It is sharp shooting pains and yes it is very shocking! I feel like the baby is about to pop out. I mentioned it to the dr. and he has reassured me that the baby isnt about to "pop" out (after checking my dilation) *Eviesmommy, I am 37 weeks on friday. I have tried to go #2, I have tried gas relievers (it gives me diahrrea and the nurse said because I dont have anything stopping me up so it's having a bad effect) I try to sit down, but that makes it worse! I am drinking about 75-80 oz. of water a day. The nurse and dr. keep telling me that since this is #2, the second I become pregnant, my body says to itself...hmm I have done this before and tries to go back to what it was the last time I was pregnant which means my body is putting me at 9 months & i am not....i have been having hip pain since about 26 weeks...so bad I feel like my hip is locked up!!!!
    Cortney101786

Comment by Cortney101786 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• sugarmama3......unfortunately...it's the right side that feels better...and I know it's not good this far along to sleep on the right side. I think I am just in culture shock because my first one was soooo easy. The baby's movements are the EXACT same as my first it just hurts worse when he moves. I am just ready for it to be over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and see my little addition, and start our life!!!!
    Cortney101786

Comment by Cortney101786 (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• omg this explains my whole pregnacy. hun it will get worst before it gets better. i have had pain sence week 18 an each week it gets worst. im no 40 weeks tomorrow an i have 3 pinched nerves an realy bad back pain i cant move or get dressed on my own cuz of the pain. my back feels like its all rubbing bone onbone. an i have one nerve in my back that the baby is pushing on an its shoots up into my head an down both jaw bones. ill be done tomorrow they r induceing me cant wait for this to be over with. i could have been induced last week but i wasnt 2cm an 80 percent effaced. i wish u the best of luck
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 11:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i hope it gets better soon!!!!! Good luck tomorrow booker123abc!
    Cortney101786

Comment by Cortney101786 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jul. 4, 2011