What are some of the reasons you are proud to be an American this Independence Day?

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 9:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Holidays

• cont

I love that we can disagree, and we can shout our disagreements from the rooftops, and we can do it without fear of being arrested. As hokey as some might think it is (at least until they've been in or are close to someone who has been in a country where there isn't freedom) - I am thankful for freedom.

I don't always like what our politicians do - in fact, I'm pretty disgusted with the majority of them - HOWEVER - I love my country, good, bad, and indifferent, and I love the people that make up my country, even the ones that I disagree with, and I am very proud of the men and women who serve this country - those in the military, but also those such as police, firemen, teachers, health and social workers - basically all those who give of themselves to better our society.

It's that never give up spirit and that compassion and that diversity that makes our country great, imo.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Having lived in other countries, and I'm currently living overseas, I can see that there are a lot of things about our country that is taken for granted. One of the biggest things is our diversity, with our races, our religions, our political views, etc. Yes, these can be bad things as we use them against each other or as we refuse to compromise or we insist on clinging entirely to the cultures of the country we came from without embracing anything American - BUT - I think that the people who do that are truly the minority.

I think another good thing is our heart. When there's a problem, we are the first to pitch in, the first to step up, and we aren't afraid to get in there and get our hands dirty - literally or figuratively. I live in Japan on a small military base, and I've seen the outpouring of support for the victims of the disasters here - even when we were in rough shape ourselves. That's heart.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Our Freedom! The privilege we have to live in the USA and be proud of all those who gave us our Independence!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• That my family were able to come to this country and have a better life! My grandma left Mexico over 30 years ago with my mom and uncle to get away from an abusive husband that pointed a gun in here face! She worked hard for years to get her citizenship as well!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Our freedom and the fact that our country isn't run by some dictator asshole.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:21 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• SailorWifeMom Well said!
    maggiebgood

Comment by maggiebgood (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• being able to NOT have to follow an organized religion

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i was proud that NY legalized gay marriage!
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 3:18 AM on Jul. 18, 2011