Taken off life support...is this a good thing or bad thing?

I guess I'm confused...if you're taken off ls, doesn't that mean you're able to live without it anymore or does it mean, theres no use to have it anymore, b/c you arent living really, if you're on it ? Please clarify for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Health

• well they take it off and if you live you live but if its the only thing keeing the person alive then the person will pass away. but most of the time people pass away because its the only thing keeping them alive.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:29 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My aunt was taken off when she was brain dead. She passed away a few hours later. It depends on the situation like if your improving they may take you off because you can do it on your own or if you are not and your family decides to take you off and let you go.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:31 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Your taken off life support for two reasons, either you don't need it anymore, or there's nothing you can do for the person and the "life support" is keeping the person alive, with no means of reovery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It depends upon the situation. Either you've recovered enough to not need it, which is good. Or you're not going to recover any more, and life support is the only thing keeping you alive.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 12:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• If you're taken off life support it means it's all up to your body to keep you alive. If your body is able to do so on it's own, you may recover. If your body isn't able to do it's job, you die.

Personally, I don't believe in the use of Life-support... I have a living will and DNR paperwork which both deny my family & doctors the option of Life-support.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2011