Does this idea strike you as reasonable/potentially true? [bit of a vent]

I'm a tad frustrated. An older friend of ours sees our two year old crying and fussing as evidence that as a character she is "demanding", period. Grrrr. I try to explain that actually it's a result of a being hot, overtired (after being up since 5.30am) coupled with a delayed lunch. He replies saying he understands our 'troubles' as (like our DD) he was one of 5, yet has no children of his own!

To me that feels like saying, "I know what it's like to be a parent as I had one myself".

I love him dearly and I know he means well and does truly think he knows what it's like to be a parent to 5 children. But it's prickled me something nasty all the same.

Womamhood

Asked by Womamhood at 10:30 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• It will be a happy day when people learn they do not have to say eveything they think.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I would be annoyed by that. Just because someone was a child doesn't mean they know what it is like to raise one! Our neighbor's just husband yesterday say something similar to the demanding thing about my daughter. My daughter can be demanding, but she is only 9 months old, so she is allowed to be. His wife had watched her for me for a few hours and when they were at our house she was talking (just sounds) he told me, "She is kind of a shiezta (not sure on the spelling), the german word for shit!! He was referring to how loud she was, apparently she is the only loud baby in the world! She wasn't crying or yelling, she was just being talkative!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:35 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Tell him, actualy, I know what im talkng about, since Im the once who actualy has kids....
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i would polite tell him he's full of s*** and you will tend your child how you see fit and if he doesnt like it he's welcome to leave
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yeah well maybe he comes from that generation where they put their kids outside the entire day and didn't check on them til supper time. My dad was like that with us. He was raised like that. Heaven forbid we had an issue that we needed help with. Some men just see kids as a bother. Every time my dad stops he says "It's a nice day, you should be outside." It didn't matter if I was working on things for finals or had the flu or ANY reason. I am NOT going to let my kid wonder around outside if I can't be out there with him. We live in town with a small yard. You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't! His saying was "that's enough." He'd say it if we were laughing in the car, or talking while we played..... he was so naive about how kids "should" act.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 11:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2011