Do you think cutting visitation time with prisoners in order to save the state money is a good idea?

This has become a hot issue in my neck of the woods. Some think that it is too isolating to prisoners and others feel it shouldn't matter because by committing a crime they gave up their rights.

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 10:50 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If we want these people to come out with any humanity we have to keep them connected to the outside world. Trust me they will come out.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i see both side of this.....on one side they are in jail for a reason and they need to be punished for that reason.....but on the other hand the ones that are going to get out and we want to become active members of our communities we need to let them be in touch with the outside world to better understand what they did was wrong and affects more than just them.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I didn't realize that this was a hot topic. How much will it actually save? I don't see how it could save that much.....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I think it's more appropriate to skim money away from prison expenses (that are non-necessary) than to skim it from police, fire, ambulance, and other necessary services. Country jails will lock down everyone based on the behavior of one individual, so it isn't an unprecedented action. A person who is sent to jail is there because they didn't follow the rules. The people outside are there because they either haven't been caught yet (ok, so I'm cynical sometimes) or because they do follow the laws. Those people are also paying taxes and deserve to not only get what they pay for (which does include prison upkeep and expenses), but a higher priority. Safety and emergency services should ALWAYS outweigh something like visitation time for prisoners imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

Answer by sherribeare

My question, also...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• No inmates are people too and it's not only the inmate that gets punished it's also the friends and family.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Far too isolating. Prisoners need to keep relationships intact and as healthy as possible, if they are to be successful when they are released
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• yup
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• They said it would save money because rather than having visitation days 5 days a week it will only be 3 days a week. I guess it costs more to have the extra staff.
    tspillane

Comment by tspillane (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Depending on the savings, they committed the crime and if effective cuts can be made to lean out manpower/security/costs/etc~ then i say~ do it...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2011