Would you stop going to church if your pastor didn't wear a suit and tie?

My DH, my mom and I were discussing this. She said our cousin said she'd stop going to her church if her pastor didn't wear a suit and tie. Our pastor never dresses up on Sunday,and as far as I can tell, it doesn't affect his sermon, or the message within it in any way. I really don't think God cares how we dress, as long as it's not vulgar, or blasphemous, as long as our hearts and minds are focused on Him,and His Word. So, what's your take? I'll be interested to hear any and all opinions. Thanks in advance!

cbk_mom3

Asked by cbk_mom3 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No I sure wouldn't stop going, in fact our pastors (there is 3 and they switch out every week) don't wear them, they usually just wear nice jeans and polos.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My pastor hardly ever wears a suit and tie. He mainly wears khaki's and a nice dress shirt. I agree with you. It's not how you are dressed but what is in your heart that matters.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• That is just silly. Talk about judging! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i stopped going to church because i realized god doesn't exist, not because Father wore shorts and a t shirt
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My pastor wears jeans and a t-shirt and has the best sermons on earth. Who am I to judge?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Absurd . Pastors should wear what they are comfortable with , same as the congregation . I can confidently assert that Jesus never wore a shirt and tie when he was preaching !
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• See, I agree with you all, who said it doesn't matter. It is being very judgmental to feel the way our cousin does, but I guess there are those who will. momofone725, sorry that's how you feel. Honestly, God is more real to me than anything this world could ever offer, but you are as entitled to your opinion and beliefs as anyone else.
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• His dressing any particular way has no relevance to his sermons, that is just dumb!

Answer by older at 11:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Many of the old time preachers didn't wear suits because they felt it was being "flashy" and showing off. The victorian era is what brought about the concept of "sunday best" It isn't biblical in any way.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It really shouldn't matter. But everytime I have attended our Lutheran church,( or the Congregational church when I was young)all of the Pastors wear robes. They are traditioal white robes with symbolic long embroidered scarf-like materials. I have never seen a Pastor wearing a suit or khakis,etc.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2011