• In the Spotlight:

In this economy, do you believe in survival of the fittest?

Is there a correlation between people on hard financial times with the lesser "fit"?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 1:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• survival of the fittest means the person would be physically fit. this has no bearing on the economy really.

do I think the economy is part of the natural order of things weeding out the population (starving people, war, etc) yes. The world knows there are too many people on it, it's doing what it can to fix that. hence homosexuality and AIDS and cancer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• fittest in terms of lifestyle/mental, not technically physical traits.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 1:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• nope, I have a college degree and lots of experience in my field and STILL cannot find a job. I am most certainly not the lesser "fit" if that's what you are asking.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No, because we aren't animals. As far as know, we don't eat each other on some food chain. We have higher though processes, caring hearts, and hopefully answer to something higher than ourselves, if only intellectually.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No, I don't. In fact, given some of the things that have been going on lately, I think it's more a matter of survival of the less scrupulous. Please don't take this next part in a bad way, because I don't mean this nasty, because I don't think your post is trying to imply that you personally think that it does mean survival of the fittest, you're just asking in a philosophical manner.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• But, I think that to imply that this economy / people facing hard financial times right now means that they are in some way less "fit" is VERY much like Marie Antoinette when she said, after being confronted with the fact that the people were starving because they had no bread, and what food they did have was rancid, with "let them eat cake". I think many of the executives that are keeping their golden parachutes while asking for bailouts, and many of the so called "fit:" you're talking about need to remember just what happened to her and her peers in the end...
    sailorwifenmom

• That's not to imply that anyone is going to be running around whacking peoples heads off in the literal sense. In the figurative and in the financial sense, however....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• it's only a saying but i believe hell yes! I beat out 250 ppl to get the job i have & it didn't bother me 1 little bit :)
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 7:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• (no not really not yet.)This is hard times but not that hard yet hard times for me and my husband would be like he would hunt.My husband loves to hunt but i think after day 4 or5 he would get sick of it .Also we would have no utlites, we would just make due w/ what we have or what we could make, like the 1800's! lol It would be fun for like a week after that i'd be ready to get back to the norm.
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 7:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I do.
    ~In the sense the when it comes down to a job, most likely the better, more qualified will get it.
    ~When it comes down to surviving the Stock Mkt, the ones who diversified and planned for immediate savings availability (not involving the Stock Mkt) will prevail over those who have no savings or had all their extra funds tied in the Stock Mkt.
    ~Just as in the case of an emergency, those who plan and have a "game plan" in place will prevail over those who only thought day to day and didn't look forward.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2008