at what age should you start to potty train?

My son is 18 months and i don't know when i should start to potty trainhim.

DaxsMomma

Asked by DaxsMomma at 1:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you should start when he shows you he is ready. He can go for extended periods (and all night) without wetting/pooping. He can tell you BEFORE he goes in his diaper. He knows what a potty is for. etc.

2 1/2 is a good time to start introducing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You can introduce the potty now but save training for when he is ready . That is what I did with DD was introduced her to the world of potty's and how and why big girls used the potty but didn't try to train till recently and she is training herself lol. She goes to the potty when she wants to on her own basically not always but still she is still new to it : P
    Also with some boys they aren't ready till 3 or a bit before 3 so don't get frustrated if he isn't eager any time soon to learn to use the big boy potty .
    CrystalDawn2506

Answer by CrystalDawn2506 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• it depends on your little one ,and whether you think they are ready for it . Are they aware of themselves weeing and pooing in their nappy (diaper) ? thats usually a sign that they are ready . I have just started with my daughter and she is 27mnths .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 6:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It depends on when YOU are ready for it. a child is ready when they are 10months old. because thats usually the time when they are able to sit up by themself for a few minutes. (yes, some kids do that earlier, but thats a torture for their spine/back.)

Anyway. i was out of the diaper when i was 12months old. saves a lot of money. my daughter is 17months old and she isnt out of the diaper yet... its hard work and not easy... thats why i said you can start when you are ready for it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2008